1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Convection fan quit today

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Shaw520, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    ...the old Englander was cranking along nice today, then for no apparent reason the convection fan quit, should I assume its the blower motor!,...there is a Graingers not far from here that I can probably get a new motor on monday,

... btw .. stove kept operating as normal without the fan.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Did you remove it, clean the motor & blower, and oil the motor bearings? Then plug it in using a test power cord to check operation?
    Brokenwing and Defiant like this.
  3. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Greg,

could be a bad motor or a bad snap switch. test it like Imacman suggested:)
  4. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    There are no snap switches on Englanders, control board send signal when stove reaches temp...maybe check the OAT On Air Temp that is a delay on start up 1 is right away, 9 is later on...make sure its not on zero or it will not come on at all
  5. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    The diagnostic mode is the easiest check, but can't separate blower failure from triac failure. Easy to try though.
    You could wire the blower to where the igniter normally goes and see if it turns on at startup. Then you know if it's the triac or the blower.
    An inspection of wires might be appropriate, I have seen crimps cut through wires that then fail due to vibration.
  6. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Thanks for all your ideas,.. I pulled it apart and found the outside bearing on the blower motor fried (seized up)... I replaced both bearings,.. cleaned the blower assembly and reassembled the motor,.. she working normal once again.

Thank you