Convection flow opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AddictiveStew

Burning Hunk
Mar 13, 2013
PA
So I'm ready to rock and roll with the new stove installed and I was wondering what you fine folks thought I could do to get the convection flow goin! I've posted a terrible diagram of my downstairs and upstairs, complete with a red square for the pellet stove and stars to indicate where I currently have ceiling fans. I'm thinking if I run the ceiling fan in the stove room in reverse, plus the ceiling fan in the loft in reverse (furthest point from the stove) that I have a pretty good chance of getting a flow going. Since I have two sets of steps I think I have a pretty good setup for this. We normally keep Bedroom #2's door shut for the winter and have all radiators off in that area as well. Thoughts?

Attachments

• downstairs.png
    downstairs.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 102
  • upstairs.png
    upstairs.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 91
Try it. Sounds like a reasonable idea. You have a good open floor plan so I think you will be fine. If you have ac registers in the ceiling make sure they are shut so you aren't forcing warm air up there via the ceiling fans.

Reactions: AddictiveStew
Try it. Sounds like a reasonable idea. You have a good open floor plan so I think you will be fine. If you have ac registers in the ceiling make sure they are shut so you aren't forcing warm air up there via the ceiling fans.

No registers here! Just window units and radiators. haha... Did you get any good deals on pellets this year? I know you're close to my area.

No registers here! Just window units and radiators. haha... Did you get any good deals on pellets this year? I know you're close to my area.
I got 3 tons of barefoot wood pellets at rays greenhouse in Telford. 264/ton was the delivered and unloaded price I paid. A fair price and I got to spend the Sunday not moving pellets.

I got 3 tons of barefoot wood pellets at rays greenhouse in Telford. 264/ton was the delivered and unloaded price I paid. A fair price and I got to spend the Sunday not moving pellets.

Wow good for you! I carried all 3 tons into my basement on Friday...

Get yourself something that produces a bit of smoke and you will soon find the natural air movements and work with them. Trying to work against the naturally occurring flow will only give you a headache wondering why your not getting the results your wanting. I simply twisted a paper towel and lit it and snuffed it to get a simple smoke.

Get yourself something that produces a bit of smoke and you will soon find the natural air movements and work with them. Trying to work against the naturally occurring flow will only give you a headache wondering why your not getting the results your wanting. I simply twisted a paper towel and lit it and snuffed it to get a simple smoke.

Good to know, thanks!

I have a somewhat similar set up and I find if I run my stove on low it makes its own flow of heat(like its own little weather system) once its been on for a while. I use two thermostats one down stair and one upstairs and use the thermostat on the floor that I'm on, but the second one will call if the other floor gets to far from comfortable A wireless one would work just as well. If the first floor is 73 upstairs won't get much cooler than 69 or 70.

Reactions: AddictiveStew
Status
Not open for further replies.