Convection or Radiant for my layout???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike n PA

Dec 23, 2014
Ivyland, PA
Hey all,

Second post to forum. So many good responses to my first that I have changed my mind probably 50 times since ;)

Ok, I am down to 2 stoves (diff than my orig post of T5 or Manchester) which are the T6 and Isle Royal.

So now after many great responses from you I am trying to make the "right" decision on whether convection or radiant will be best for my layout (pic of layout attached).

So my exterior walls are thick stone walls (circa 1760). The hearth the stove will go in is in my avatar. The inside of the hearth is the width of the wall, 10 ft.

I am hoping for some more good advice from u all related to the 2 stoves and which type may best suite my needs. NOTE, the second story does not go over kitchen. There is a full bath and a bedroom over the dining room which are cold as well. It is that side of house (ref attached layout) that I need heat!!!

Thanks again to all of you for your input. Every response is read and much thought put into your responses and I do very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Can't answer your question, but how'd you get your layout picture on such an old house? Professional looking.

I am not sure how much it matters to you, but I would point out that the construction of these two stoves is considerably different. The T6 is actually a welded steel firebox with cast iron sections hung or fastened around the outside to form a jacket around the steel box. The air gap in between the steel and the cast iron provides the convective heating. The firebox of the IR is formed from sections of cast iron that are fastened together with gaskets in-between the sections. From a long term maintenance standpoint, I think the steel box construction is superior. You do not have the gaskets between all the panels with which to be concerned, and forming and welding rolled plate steel is much easier than making cast iron castings. High quality cast iron stoves are certainly produced, I just think there are greater risks and long term maintenance issues down the road with a cast iron stove.

I am not certain about which is better for your set-up, but I personally like a convective heater. I am afraid it would get uncomfortably warm to stay in a small stove room with a large radiant heater. I like the convective heat from the jacketed design. I can lightly touch the top or sides of my BK Ashford (also a cast iron jacket) without getting burned. I could be wrong, but it just seems more controllable. I would have gone with the a PE Alderlea except I was concerned about turndown in my basement install, and that led me to the BK. Going into a fireplace, I can see the argument for the radiant stove. I would also concede that most people would find the IR more visually appealing, especially if you like the porcelain finishes. There probably is not a bad choice between the two.

I am not sure how much it matters to you, but I would point out that the construction of these two stoves is considerably different. The T6 is actually a welded steel firebox with cast iron sections hung or fastened around the outside to form a jacket around the steel box. The air gap in between the steel and the cast iron provides the convective heating. The firebox of the IR is formed from sections of cast iron that are fastened together with gaskets in-between the sections. From a long term maintenance standpoint, I think the steel box construction is superior. You do not have the gaskets between all the panels with which to be concerned, and forming and welding rolled plate steel is much easier than making cast iron castings. High quality cast iron stoves are certainly produced, I just think there are greater risks and long term maintenance issues down the road with a cast iron stove.

I am not certain about which is better for your set-up, but I personally like a convective heater. I am afraid it would get uncomfortably warm to stay in a small stove room with a large radiant heater. I like the convective heat from the jacketed design. I can lightly touch the top or sides of my BK Ashford (also a cast iron jacket) without getting burned. I could be wrong, but it just seems more controllable. I would have gone with the a PE Alderlea except I was concerned about turndown in my basement install, and that led me to the BK. Going into a fireplace, I can see the argument for the radiant stove. I would also concede that most people would find the IR more visually appealing, especially if you like the porcelain finishes. There probably is not a bad choice between the two.
Thanks Isaiah,

Yes I was aware of the differences in the stoves. Thanks for the reply. Am hoping someone with similar old home (like Joful, lol) may be able to lend an opinion from their experience regarding going with the radiant stoves or the convective stoves may better suite the stone walls and non-open floor plan......

Appreciate your input!

Is this for the dining room fireplace? I would lean toward the IR, but am concerned about the small doorways connecting this galley style floorplan. The DR looks like a small room for a 3 cu ft stove.

Is this for the dining room fireplace? I would lean toward the IR, but am concerned about the small doorways connecting this galley style floorplan. The DR looks like a small room for a 3 cu ft stove.
Begreen,

Yes this is the fireplace in dining room where stove will go. That's my concern too... The dining and kitchen are the coldest part if house (kitchen being the worst). Small hallway between rooms. We don't spend any time in dining room although pass through it constantly. Trying to figure best configuration for my need and am flip flopping a lot the past few days on what to do. A lot of money to put out and I need results......

Begreen,

Yes this is the fireplace in dining room where stove will go. That's my concern too... The dining and kitchen are the coldest part if house (kitchen being the worst). Small hallway between rooms. We don't spend any time in dining room although pass through it constantly. Trying to figure best configuration for my need and am flip flopping a lot the past few days on what to do. A lot of money to put out and I need results......
Another note is that dining room ceiling is 9-10 ft ceiling so not typical for old house like this.

Yes, after seeing the layout I am leaning more toward the Alderlea T5 unless there is a good crawlspace or basement under this area where a duct system can be setup with an inline fan to help move the heat.

Yes, after seeing the layout I am leaning more toward the Alderlea T5 unless there is a good crawlspace or basement under this area where a duct system can be setup with an inline fan to help move the heat.
No real crawl space for that. Only thing I could do is put in ceiling fan to move air and the doorway corner fans to help move the warmth to the kitchen and down hall to living room. VERY drafty home too.... Although once the doors are replaced it should help significantly.

T5 was my first choice (local dealer has a floor model discounted) but in my previous post "Hearthstone Manchester vs Alderlea T5" most were suggesting go bigger. Although I did not put the layout of home in that post........

The layout and fireplace location paints an entirely different picture. Ceiling fan would help a little. Corner fans could blow cooler adjacent room air into the DR, but they are noisy.

T6 or t5. I would not recommend a bolted together firebox with gaskets/seals that can leak. Isn't the ir a double door? That would add another level of unnecessary risk and maintenance.

From what I know over the past 15-20 year the IR has a very good track record for reliability and low maintenance, but I don't think it's the right stove for this home based on the floor layout.

From what I know over the past 15-20 year the IR has a very good track record for reliability and low maintenance, but I don't think it's the right stove for this home based on the floor layout.
Begreen,

The local hearth store has the T5 brown porcelain enamel floor model discounted. I did notice the door on this specific floor model is more decorative than the one shown on the site and others pics on this site. Are you aware and if so is it an early model???? Pic attached of actual stove from my local dealers floor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 127
Yes, it looks like a 2013 or earlier model. I like the grillework on the old models better.

A model firebox, notice the old style baffle under the stove. I'm guessing 2010ish?
The new baffles are different. Thinner body, with insulation board on top instead of the blanket insulation. No s.s. shield over the board like the insulation blanket had.
I like the old baffle better.

Not sure if they made a baffle change on the 2 cu ft models. I'll have to check that out.

A model firebox, notice the old style baffle under the stove. I'm guessing 2010ish?
The new baffles are different. Thinner body, with insulation board on top instead of the blanket insulation. No s.s. shield over the board like the insulation blanket had.
I like the old baffle better.
Good to know, thanks for the input Gents.

How much of a discount are they offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.