Convection or radiant stove for fireplace alcove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyliner

Nov 12, 2014
Devon
Hello all,

This is my first post, and despite having a good look around I’m finding it difficult to get a good steer on a particular issue and was hoping someone here may be able to help.

Basically, I wanted to know, which stove works best in a fireplace alcove – convection or radiant?

My wife has set her heart on a modern convection stove such as a Morso 6140, 7440 or 8140.

The problem is this – we have a slightly larger than average UK terrace house and a chimney breast which has just been opened out to approximately the following dimensions:

Width:740mm (29”)
Height:1190mm (47”)
Depth:400mm (12”)

For entirely separate reasons we’re also having to have the breast extended into the room a little so the depth will increase by approximately 15cm.

We were about to take delivery on a Morso 8140, but have now been advised by a few people that using a convection stove in a fireplace alcove is senseless as there won’t be enough space for air to circulate. The theory being that they work better when freestanding, which is something I had been a bit worried about, although I have seen images online such stoves installed in alcoves.

I can see that perhaps the 8140 (530mm width) would perhaps be a little tight but felt that perhaps if we went for a 7440 (just 440mm width), this would leave adequate room for air to circulate?

I should also point out we’re more than happy for the stove to sit a little ‘proud’ into the room extending from the fireplace – I’m thinking perhaps 30% or so if necessary, with a rear flue.

The chimney breast in question is at the end of a long room about 23’ x 12’ – a living and dining room which have been knocked into one by a previous owner. There is also central heating but I would like to be able to heat the whole space if possible when using the stove. Also, bear in mind this is in South West England, so we don’t get incredibly cold conditions very often.

Could anyone out there let me know their thoughts? I’m willing to go for a radiant stove instead, but they’re generally not the modern look we were hoping for – superficial as that may sound!

Additionally, would something like and Ecofan help solve any circulation problems? I was wondering if the relatively cool top surface of a convection stove would be adequate to drive one?

Any advice is really appreciated!

Best regards,

Miles

I'm going to say that my hypothesis, not proven by strict examination or proper scientific method is:

Convection stoves make hot air that can be moved. Radiant stoves heat objects that they can "see". So put a hot thing in a closed area, and the heating will bounce off the walls and bounce into the room like "Bing bing biiinng" Ricochet Rabbit" and end up radiating a little more into the room. Hot air, like running water can be manipulated. If whatever stove you get has true convection passages where heat can be blown out into the room you would assume you would feel the heat in the room more. I always worry about "makeup" air for blower stoves in alcoves, but hell...they make it work with wood burning fireplace inserts, so why not with a certain free standing stove design in an alcove?

Thanks Fsappo, that's much very much appreciated. It may well be just a hypothesis, but it certainly seems reasonable to me, and was kind of where my own thinking was going.

I'd reckon if we go for something like a Morso 6140 or 7440, both of which I believe are indeed true convection stoves and, being relatively narrow, should allow ample space either side for that air to move, then we should be ok.

However, I'd be eager to hear any other views before we throw money at this. Also does anyone have any opinions or experience of how well stove fans work with such a convection stove which is has a cooler top surface than a radiant?

My preference is for a convective stove in an alcove installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.