CONVECTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leoibb

Dec 29, 2010
uk
hi new here not sure this is the right place to post, but here goes.
I have a wood stove and a metal flue liner in the chimney, so far i have cut a opening in the chimney up in the bedroom so when the fire is lit hot air comes out of it, so i can warm the room above well.
I am looking to build on that by making an opening in the chimney within the loft with a fan fitted so it blowes air in to the chimney , the air would then come out in the opening in the bedroom, i am also going to run ductin to other bedrooms from openings i will creat in the chimney??
thoughts please?
AT present the way the air comes out in the bedroom is because i have not installed a register plate above the stove, but i want to install the register plate and taking air from the loft seems most sensible option ?

I see 2 issues with this that scare me.

1.) If the liner leaked you could flood the home with CO's!

2.) Forcing air around the liner could speed the croesote build up and cause a chimney fire!

yes fair points, 1st point about the liner leaking, well yes the liner could leak but if it did leak the draugh would still take the smoke fumes to the top yes? chances of leaking?? im not sure,
when i first installed the stove from the pipe out of the stove i slotted it in to the liner rather large gap around it and didnt seal it but no fumes smoke came back in it naturally went up the liner to the outside.
creasote build up is a good subject and because of my concerns i tend to sweep the flue about every six weeks its only a ten min job really so dont see it bein a big deal, havin said that i do tend to get some black crap out every time,, if i go ahead with my plans i am intending using the higher grade liner rather than the 316 stuff

You do not want to over cool the chimney or you will cause excesive creosote. That is the reason "reclaimers" should not be used with an EPA approved stove. The reburn process lowers the exhaust temps enough. The longer the chimney to cooler the gasses will get.

Eric

yes aware of that but i have read in other countries they run a single liner round various rooms to gain heat out of it?
over regulated over catous comes to mind. as i say i clean liner regular every six at most eight week ,
al this do and dont with chimneys, how accurate is it or we hearing it from another forum. , we had coal fires for years and no fuss over temperature and such and as i say other countries dont have our rules and they seem to do well

Can a mod move this into the hearth room. We mear pellet heads probably need some wood burners to assist with this!

Never cut holes in a chimney other than to install a heating unit and even then only one such unit per flue and be absolutely certain any other hole is properly blocked and sealed.

Never assume that the exhaust gases are going to exit the top of flue they will follow the path that offers them the least resistance, that could be via the room you cut the hole in.

You are playing with lethal conditions, not a wise thing to do, that is how we get so many contestants for the Darwin Award competition.

No winner has ever made it to the podium.

just read last post, i spoke with hetas engineers to clarify what i had done make sure laws allowed it and his words was, so long as the liner is one piece and no joins in it then yes it is perfectly fine. i came on here to look for some constructive answers but what i seem to be gettin is dont do this or dont do that, well we all know that and i apreciate the advise but its old news what has been said and does it stack up?? well as i said about the flue and leaks the fumes will go the easiest rout and that is the top of the chimney the 6 inch diamiter gap at the top or would the fumes travel through a split in the liner? i very much doubt this, i remember some years ago i put a cole fire in and decided to put one in up stairs too , silly me cut in to the chimney only to find i was in the wrong bit, the part i went in to was the chimney from below. a foot hole excisted in that chimney for nearly a year and you watched the smoke just go straight past the hole and carry on up the chimney, so for gasses to want to direct through a possible split in the pipe i cant buy, the other thing is it would have to draugh that way too which it dont do in a house...
the purpose of a liner is for crap leaky chimneys in a lot of cases, so assuming the liner did leak and to amazement drew that way then the chimney leakin too , ya would be dead any way so whats the purpose of the liner to begin with.

seems dangerous, but if your gonna do it, in the very least put 2 CO detectors very close to that hole. ones that plug in to AC power and have battery backup.

yes in other countries people do all sorts of things to reclaim lost exhaust heat. google rocket mass heater. its basically a wood stove whose exhaust gases actually pass through masonry furniture before it exits the structure. they exit at about 90 degrees f. it warms the house and all the items in it on very little wood.

Once again, that hole at the top no matter what size it is, is not a guaranteed exit for flue gases if there are any possible exits elsewhere in the system.

The liner is to protect against heat not things like CO.

But go ahead do what you wish.

thankyou for that, i do have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, im just tryin to find a solution. ideally it would be better on a seperate pipe and then no issues of gasses at all but, i dont think i could get another pipe down the chimney,
there is one thing i do notice at the momnet, when i get the fire hot there is a sort of sut smell out of the hole, the chimney was cleaned and cleaned all i can think it is is the hard sut that is cooking maybe

Would'nt something like this do what you are asking?

was looking at those quite a neat devise, the main room is warm enough and using this devise will only add more heat in to same room

Status
Not open for further replies.