Q&A Conversion of wood burning fireplace to gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a standard wood burning fireplace that I'd like to convert to a gas fireplace. When the fireplace was originally installed [by the prior homeowner] a gas line was also installed [and is currently capped off] in case a future conversion was desired.

What things do I need to consider in order to pursue this? What costs would be involved?

I've read a lot about gas logs but am unclear as to whether they alone would do the trick. Do I need a fireplace insert and gas logs? Also, my fireplace is open from one side as well as from the front. Will I lose the side view if I convert to gas?

Answer:

If you are mostly looking for the view of a fire (not heat) then a set of vented logs should do the trick. Expect to spend from $300-$700 for the logs plus $200+ to install, assuming gas line is nearby. You will be able to see the logs from both the front and the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.