Conversion to Dual Boilers from Combo Hot Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeEater

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2011
Northeastern NY
I'm new at this "boiler business", but willing to learn. Don't want the learning to cost an arm and a leg. I've been reading and learning here on the forum and am as a result bought a PB 105. For back up I found a used, but sound Liberty Slantfin L-30-H. This may sound bizarre, but I would like to plumb both boilers separately to an Triangle Tube Smart 80 indirect water heater. This heater has a 1 1/2" boiler inlet and outlet and two 1 1/2" DHW outlets and 1 inlet of the same size. It will handle over 300,000 Btu/hr (depending upon delta T). I'll install high temp rads upstairs in a 2200 sq. ft. Cape and radiant under main floor with conduction panels and bubble foil insulation. A third zone will be a breezeway and garage, and a fourth will be a 'Modine' in the basement. Looking at a 30 (or 40) plate HX from the Triangle heater pumped with a delta T variable speed bronze circulator to economize to the heating loop with 3 circulators and a mixing valve for the radiant (mixing return with supply). A zone valve off the high temp circulator can supply the Modine. DHW would be supplied by the Triangle Tube heater with mixing valve. I have a masonry chimney with two 316 stainless 6" flues for the boilers and plan a loss of power heat dump above the Harman with 2 x 6' finned rads. Also will install a Danfoss (or similar) thermostatic valve with a 140 degree outlet for the Harman return water. In summer I plan to shut the Harmon down and use the Slantfin to heat the DHW in the Triangle Tube even though it has a coil. All this will replace a 31 year old inefficient coal, oil , wood hot air Powermatic (currently burning up to 25 face cords of good dry hardwood annually!). So far all I've purchased is the pellet boiler and the Liberty. What I need is some good advice on what the experts might suggest for mods for this system. Maybe scrap it a start a new plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.