Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theresa12

Jun 13, 2018
Ellicott City
Hi. I have a wood burning insert in my fireplace. The fireplace is in a wall in between two rooms, so it opens on both sides. This was originally a fireplace that was converted for the insert. I would like to take the insert out and just use the regular fireplace. What is involved in this process and can you give a ballpark regarding the cost. Thanks!

Do you know why the insert was installed? I wouldn't be surprised if the reason was because they were getting a lot of smoke into the house.
I'm not a big fan or double sided fireplaces, very few of then have a large enough chimney, and often, for that reason do not draft well.
If you can supply us with the fireplace opening dimensions, (height and width) and height of the chimney we can calculate the size of chimney would need. Also what is the inside dimension of the chimney flue...does it have Clay Tiles??
If you're in need of a stainless liner and Insulation, it could be another problem.

We’ve owned a few old houses with double sided fireplaces, both opposite and adjacent configurations. All were closed off on one face, or converted to gas log or wood stove by prior generations, for the reason named. Check the lookup tables (or just ask @bholler) for the flue requirement on your total opening (sum sq ft of both openings), and you’ll quickly see why these rarely work.

There are still options, if your flue doesn’t meet the requirement:

1. Close off one face, and use as a regular fireplace. This was done in our 1740 house with opposing face dual fireplace.
2. Concert to gas log. This was done in our 1995 house with opposing face fireplace.
3. Install free standing stove. This was done in the late-18th century addition of our 1692 (not a typo) house, with adjacent face dual fireplace.