Convert 25 ton Huskee splitter to a push through design?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
I'm considering converting my 25 ton huskee splitter to a push through design. This would require that I switch the wedge to a stationary 4 way wedge out at the end of the splitter, and put a push block on the hydraulic ram.

The modification will allow less handling of the wood and it should increase my production for splitting.

I won't be able to use the splitter in vertical mode, but I don't really care about that.

Thoughts?

I'm considering converting my 25 ton huskee splitter to a push through design. This would require that I switch the wedge to a stationary 4 way wedge out at the end of the splitter, and put a push block on the hydraulic ram.

The modification will allow less handling of the wood and it should increase my production for splitting.

I won't be able to use the splitter in vertical mode, but I don't really care about that.

Thoughts?

Don't know why you figure it would be faster. I think you would change it back after you get tired of chasing the splits that need a second or third trip through the splitter.

Reactions: kevin j
I did that to my Hf splitter a number of years ago. Vertical use just wasn't in the cards for me. The main reason though at the time was it had seen better days. The beam was slightly sprung & the foot plate bent. Besides those 2 areas there were other problems early on. So I decided to just make a new beam ( that I have yet to bend) thin style wedge with a spreader located behind it and a more robust pusher/ slider assembly. Valve was worn out so that got replaced and all fittings and lines were upgraded to 3/4". also addd an aux oil tank which allowed for the primary tank to be completed filled as there was a problem with air being mixed into oil due to the configuration of the ports. Very little change cycle time but a huge difference in heat buildup in the oil. The thin wedge slices through all the stringy stuff like Elm and Hickory and reduced the transmitted forces to the beam. Hard part is mounting the wedge. If welding it on you must preheat beam in that area or you will end up with a cold weld. Picture gives an idea of what I did. I also added a table around the wedge end so less chasing of item needing a second pass. The hitch is opposite end from wedge The table extends out from the beam about 20" and around 8" or so on either side of the wedge - makes the landing area about 24" x 30". Wasn't completed in that pic.

Attachments

• 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
It sounds like a lot of work, for not a lot of gain, imo. The good folks at Speeco took a lot of effort in designing and building these little gems.

I'd sell yours off as is, and put the funds towards a machine more to your liking before I'd start reversing an already fully built machine, assuming yours in good working order and condition.

Define gain. In this case Chi-com design errors were corrected , Cold welds at critical points, insufficient structural strength of materials, ( note 30 ton rated) the motor, love joy coupling, pump, and cylinder are all original -16 years now. if you mean speed then either a bigger pump or the ports on the cylinder would have to be enlarged or both. The additional tank + the larger hoses and hi-flow couplings corrected an over heat problem due to air being mixed with oil because the return line port on the main tank was at the same height as the fill port. The secondary tank is now the fill port location and expansion chamber. The 1/2" metallic line was only 3/8 internal same as the couplings leading to a great amount of fluid friction = heat. Combined with air/oil mixing and in about an hour of use you could not touch the cylinder without receiving a first degree burn ( if you poured water on the cylinder it would vaporize it indicating in excess of 212 degees F. Over heating is the enemy of hydraulic components.
Now if I was average consumer- it would be considered lesson learned and replaced- but I am a stubborn, German/Russian heritage, crotchety, mean, surly, and likely a few more adjectives type with a full machine shop. So I fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: triptester
I did that to my Hf splitter a number of years ago. Vertical use just wasn't in the cards for me. The main reason though at the time was it had seen better days. The beam was slightly sprung & the foot plate bent. Besides those 2 areas there were other problems early on. So I decided to just make a new beam ( that I have yet to bend) thin style wedge with a spreader located behind it and a more robust pusher/ slider assembly. Valve was worn out so that got replaced and all fittings and lines were upgraded to 3/4". also addd an aux oil tank which allowed for the primary tank to be completed filled as there was a problem with air being mixed into oil due to the configuration of the ports. Very little change cycle time but a huge difference in heat buildup in the oil. The thin wedge slices through all the stringy stuff like Elm and Hickory and reduced the transmitted forces to the beam. Hard part is mounting the wedge. If welding it on you must preheat beam in that area or you will end up with a cold weld. Picture gives an idea of what I did. I also added a table around the wedge end so less chasing of item needing a second pass. The hitch is opposite end from wedge The table extends out from the beam about 20" and around 8" or so on either side of the wedge - makes the landing area about 24" x 30". Wasn't completed in that pic.

Or you could put the hitch on the other end and make it at the right length and height to push the splits onto the back of your pickup. Only be cool if you split in the field.

It sounds like a lot of work, for not a lot of gain, imo. The good folks at Speeco took a lot of effort in designing and building these little gems.

I'd sell yours off as is, and put the funds towards a machine more to your liking before I'd start reversing an already fully built machine, assuming yours in good working order and condition.
I have an older Speeco the was built prior to the Chinese invasion.
It is built like Blades modified splitter.
The only effort put into designing these little gems by the" good people" of PROC is ways to cut the costs and use inferior steel to send across the pond to North America

If it were me, I wouldn’t do it. I used a Huskee 22T for four years or so before I got my kinetic. The hydraulic Huskee had a push through wedge, the kinetic has a stationary wedge at the end with a table. While I would never go back to the hydraulic, the one thing that does bug me sometimes is having to reach towards the end of the splitter to grab my piece again so I can re-split it if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only effort put into designing these little gems by the" good people" of PROC is ways to cut the costs and use inferior steel to send across the pond to North America

Not sure I get your comment. I thought Speeco was located in Colorado, and owned by Blount. Are you saying they are built in China now? What problem do you have with the current ones specifically?

There is a big difference in assembled in US vs mfg in US. Lately that doesn't seem to mean much when it comes to automated welding lines. Pure and simple it is a QC problem that is being ignored in favor of production. Sintered gears vs hobbing them out of solid steel is another thorn in my side.

Don't blame the Chinese they just build the product to the cheap specs of American business.

Well yes and no, If you do not stand on top of them QC wise they will sub inferior materials as much as possible. Pretty much SOP for chi-com mfg.

So what makes the redesign better, faster? Loosening vertical I don't understand. I'm strong, but I couldn't imagine lifting 2' rounds onto the beam.

Sorry guys i just can't give excuses for Chinese junk.
I have seen wheel studs pull through Chinese trailer hubs that had metal grains so big you could chisel out separate grains of cast iron.So soft that you could mark them with a screwdriver.These are the same hubs that are on most new trailers coming from the USA,Canada.Think of that when you are cruising the super slab and see an overloaded trailer.
It is their MO do what you have to do while someone is watching,then back to serving up sub par stuff to ship to North America when the inspectors are gone or paid off.
When something of yours breaks or quits working well before it's expected life...
95 % of the time you will see made in China or Made in PROC.Sometimes it's hidden but you can be assured that's it's origin.
They make cheep stuff ship it here on their boats.Then they fill the same boats with North American waste(mostly their products that fail early and can't be fixed),then recycle the waste back into inferior products and ship back to North America.Over and over... good security and pulling the money out of North America.
And i am sure that they can make great products that rival the stuff that used to be manufactured here.We will never see those products,unless you are buying high end in Asia.

Thoughts?
I modified a Speeco in this manner and did not regret it for one second! As expected production was doubled....after these pictures were taken I added a table....I ran this splitter hard for several years after the mods and it held up fine. I got the wedges of of ebay and went with 2 12in tall wedges and cut one in half for 6 in wings...

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 557
I have been watching my dump for an old treadmill
I want to make a moving table that is as long as my wood pile.
Then i can split wood till the belt is full then stack the wood and repete. I should be able to recoup the time put in building the table in about 4 yrs of splitting.::-)

Reactions: saewoody