1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Convert refractory panels to firebrick

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Steve R, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Steve R

Steve R New Member

I have pulled out the bottom refractory panel and three upper ones from a fabricated fireplace unit.
    After studying the design I cant see why I couldnt mortar in new firebrick. I can obtain firebrick 1.25 inch thick which would fit good. Anybody done this before?? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Steve R

Steve R New Member

Anybody?
  3. FyreBug

FyreBug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Why would you want to mortar it? It is not necessary. After a while the ash will pack up in the cracks between the bricks and act as mortar anyway.
  4. Steve R

Steve R New Member

I should think one bump with a log and those skinny firebricks would tumble like Humpty Dumpty! Thx
  5. NE WOOD BURNER

NE WOOD BURNER Minister of Fire

Suggestion: Post a few pictures of your fabricated fireplace unit.

"a picture is worth a thousand words"
  6. Steve R

Steve R New Member

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, hope it takes Jpegs!! Thx
  7. Steve R

Steve R New Member

1-14-13 011.jpg 1-14-13 011.jpg

The upper and lower channels would provide cooling air circulation between the sheet metal backing and the new 1.25" firebrick. Bottom sheet metal has metal structure underneath.
    The weight would be similar between the old refractory panels and the new firebrick. I would lay the base firebrick first and have the walls rest on the base, same weight as before.All mortared.

One issue I don't know about....do the old panels and the new firebrick (similar thicknesses) have similar heat transmission properties. Seems like firebrick would reflect heat better but I dont know, or its not a big issue because there are three layers of sheet metal and air spacing before you reach wood framing.

I see universal refractory panels (cut to fit) for sale on the web but they are only 3/4" thick....that makes me uncomfortable going thinner.

Thanks so much.