Convert to Wood burning Gas Logs/Insert - Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VocalTechie

Oct 5, 2015
Michigan, USA
Hello,
So, I have a natural burning fireplace that I use very infrequently. I decided, after using it last winter for several days because my gas furnace's blower broke and I had to wait that I needed to get the chimney swept. I hadn't done it since I moved in 9 years ago (granted I don't know that I've averaged a fire a year).

Because my house was built in 1927, the sweep said that I have a smoke chamber style that is not used anymore and not considered code in new residences. He suggested that it all be removed with some type of new unit that would change this entire chamber, putting a damper at the top rather than using the twist one right above the firebox.

I have considered putting in gas logs/insert in the past. I might actually use it if I didn't have to light a fire. Would it be necessary to rework the entire smoke chamber if I did this? Might it mean that I could avoid this fairly considerable expense?

Thanks,
michael

Hi. If installing an insert you would also have a longer installed. The chimney is only a chase, in this case, so, no need to rework the smoke shelf.

Well, a longer is what this stupid smart phone calls a liner. An aluminum liner would be installed in the chimney, therefore, the chimney is simply a chase for the enclosed liner. (AKA-Longer)

Reactions: abrucerd and DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.