Convert Woodburning Insert to Gas(LP)???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randiandluis

Oct 16, 2015
Ellijay, GA
Hello. New here.

Wondering about our options for a woodburning Heatilator insert.

We already have a 250 gal. tank for 2 wall mount heaters as well as our LP cooktop.

Is it possible to convert the insert to LP logs?? With winter coming again I don't feel like doing the wood thing again. What a pain and hardly any heat.

I've only found a few LP sets that are affordable. The back of the insert is about 19" wide. So, I'm assuming that limits me to the 18" sets.

Any comments on this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Emberglo...Fireplace-Logs-with-Remote-SCVFR18L/100595891

Last edited:
Hello. New here.

Wondering about our options for a woodburning Heatilator insert.

We already have a 250 gal. tank for 2 wall mount heaters as well as our LP cooktop.

Is it possible to convert the insert to LP logs?? With winter coming again I don't feel like doing the wood thing again. What a pain and hardly any heat.

I've only found a few LP sets that are affordable. The back of the insert is about 19" wide. So, I'm assuming that limits me to the 18" sets.

Any comments on this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Emberglo...Fireplace-Logs-with-Remote-SCVFR18L/100595891

Are you SURE you have an insert? An insert fits into an existing fireplace.
You probably have a Heatilator Woodburning Zero Clearance Fireplace.
That being said, if you install a gas log into the existing firebox, you are STILL
going to burn fuel inefficiently & send all the heat up the chimney, it'll be
easier on your back, but maybe not on your wallet.
You might be better served by either tearing the woodburner out & installing
a gas ZC fireplace, or visiting your local heathshop & finding out if they offer a
gas INSERT that will fit into your existing firebox.

Are you SURE you have an insert? An insert fits into an existing fireplace.
You probably have a Heatilator Woodburning Zero Clearance Fireplace.
That being said, if you install a gas log into the existing firebox, you are STILL
going to burn fuel inefficiently & send all the heat up the chimney, it'll be
easier on your back, but maybe not on your wallet.
You might be better served by either tearing the woodburner out & installing
a gas ZC fireplace, or visiting your local heathshop & finding out if they offer a
gas INSERT that will fit into your existing firebox.

I do not know all the terminology. But, after looking that up, I guess it is a "Fireplace." It has a Flue. So, even with vent free logs and a closed flue, am I still throwing money out the chimney? As far as removing the fireplace, it would be a nightmare. The original owners that installed it did the masonry work over the fireplace, which means I would have to do some demolition.

Is the fireplace on an EXTERIOR wall? If so, the demolition phase is not nearly as bad, since the unit can be removed from the outside.

Yeah, that's a tough one. It's doable, tho.
may wanna o your hearth shop.
Heatilator ZCWBs can have some of the interior components removed,
allowing for larger inserts to be installed.
FWIW, I don't endorse the installation or use of room-vented gas logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.