Converting a fireplace to a pellet stove with rear hopper...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegreendrums

Oct 9, 2007
A carpenter needs some masonry advice...
Is it a possibility to convert my fireplace to a pellet stove with a rear loading hopper without extending my hearth? I purchased a used pellet stove, and do not have the clearance to fully "insert" it into the fireplace and still open the hopper. I am hoping that an expert has a solution for this. As it stands, if the front of the stove protrudes about 3" past the hearth, I think I'll be ok. I probably will not be able to achieve the "built-in" look, but that's cool. Any advice out there? Please? Carpentry advice offered in trade...? heh heh...

I don't understand what you are looking for from us? Do you want someone to say OK, violate the clearances and don't extend the hearth? Extending the hearth sounds like your only option. Really you should have gotten a Pellet insert instead of a stove.

Take a look at the installation manual online if you can. You will need something fire proof in front of the stove on the floor though. It doesn't have to be much you know. Its not like you have to build some huge thick hearth extension. Take a look at the options, there isn't very much required at all. I have my free standing stove sitting on a piece of 1/2 inch plywood with tile cemented to it. Not much needed, no serious investment or work and you can pretty well customize it to suit your desires. If memory serves me you can even fab something out of sheet metal and it would be thinner yet. Take a look around the net and in the online manuals you can find and soon enough you will figure something out.
As for mounting it you are looking at possibly uncharted territory. Lots of guys I know have a stove parked in front of the fireplace sitting on the mantle. Mounting one inside seems like biting off a lot to deal with. Be aware you will have to be opening up the side panels to perform maintenance and clean it. If you stuff that baby back in there you will have headaches. The second issue is the hopper. You have to feed it somehow. I am sure there is a way but its gonna be major PITA to build and operate. Get an auger jam and you likely will have to remove the stove to clear it ect. I think you won't like the results long term believe me. You also have to consider the issue of insurance and having a heavily modified stove setup in the event of a fire. Everyone knows they just look for an out not to pay and it doesn't have to be legitimate, just legal and may be not even that. Were it me I would park it just in front like every one else or buy a purpose built insert and save all the trouble and headaches. Just my 2 pennies worth based on heating with one and doing repairs for 4 years. I am sure some of the other guys in here will agree with me. Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet.....................................................

I'm confused.... what did I say?

I hope you read that correctly, in that I said DO NOT vilolate the clearances in the manual, and that you MUST have proper hearth protection.

mikegreendrums said:
A carpenter needs some masonry advice...
Is it a possibility to convert my fireplace to a pellet stove with a rear loading hopper without extending my hearth? I purchased a used pellet stove, and do not have the clearance to fully "insert" it into the fireplace and still open the hopper. I am hoping that an expert has a solution for this. As it stands, if the front of the stove protrudes about 3" past the hearth, I think I'll be ok. I probably will not be able to achieve the "built-in" look, but that's cool. Any advice out there? Please? Carpentry advice offered in trade...? heh heh...

No way I know of. Not with a free-standing stove. You'll need an "Insert" type of stove to do what you want. With the free-stander you'll have to put the stove out in front of the fireplace on it's own hearth pad. Or, set it up on an outside wall somewhere and vent it directly through the wall.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.