Q&A Converting an insert to a stand alone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a fireplace insert (pellet) that doesn't get a lot of use in it's current location. I'd like to convert it to a stand alone unit and place in the family room. Are there are kits available to do this? What difficulties could I expect to run into?

Answer:

Don, in most cases this cannot properly be done. The insert is a completely different unit than a freestanding stove. These differences are in venting, mounting, protection around the unit, hopper design and other factors. There are one or two units on the market which did use the same body for insert and stove, and these could be converted with the proper parts...contact the maker of your unit to find out if yours was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.