Converting from cable to dish. What am I looking at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, so now that Comcast has officially encrypted all data in my area we are going to look for alternatives. Basically, we currently have the limited basic tier of cable for like $22/month. (Very few channels....no TBS to watch the sox games, never catch a Bruins game, etc) We have HD sets, but now due the encryption I have to use a DTA on each set that gives a very poor picture quality, or I can shell out $10/set per month just to get HD and the current channels I am getting now. So, now I would be looking at a $62 month bill just to have the 20 channels. My questions on the DISH are:

1.) When they install the Dish, will they just use the current coaxial cable that I am now using for the cable tv?
2.)How can I tell if the dish will work....I have some trees and have used www.dishpointer.com...but still don't know if it will work.
3.)Do I need a Sat box for each TV.

PS. We already use Netflix/Roku, so I'm just looking for a real basic Sat service with local channels too.

Ok, so now that Comcast has officially encrypted all data in my area we are going to look for alternatives. Basically, we currently have the limited basic tier of cable for like $22/month. (Very few channels....no TBS to watch the sox games, never catch a Bruins game, etc) We have HD sets, but now due the encryption I have to use a DTA on each set that gives a very poor picture quality, or I can shell out $10/set per month just to get HD and the current channels I am getting now. So, now I would be looking at a $62 month bill just to have the 20 channels. My questions on the DISH are:

1.) When they install the Dish, will they just use the current coaxial cable that I am now using for the cable tv?
2.)How can I tell if the dish will work....I have some trees and have used www.dishpointer.com...but still don't know if it will work.
3.)Do I need a Sat box for each TV.

PS. We already use Netflix/Roku, so I'm just looking for a real basic Sat service with local channels too.

1. Maybe, depending on the best location for the Dish. They used 2 coax lines into my house.
2. An installer would be able to tell you best but as long as there is a fairly clear view of the sky you should be ok.
3. For HD, yes but it won't be a huge box like the main one.

Reactions: daveswoodhauler
I am a full fledged cable guy, install for Rogers. #1, Depends how old the cables are and if they all run back to the same place. If you have fairly new RG6 all running back to one area in your house, usually the electrical panel then you should be good. If you have older rg59 and you have a bunch of splitters hiding in the walls then the tech will want to replace them. If not, he is not a good tech. #2, Unless you have a steep cliff wall right outside you house then you will likely be good. I have seen them installed and have done it myself pointing almost at the ground and it still picks up reception. #3, Yes

I would be very surprised if Sat will be cheaper than CATV. Best bet is too call you provider and lay it on the line. Tell them I am planning to move to Satellite, what are my option. Sometimes that gets them to offer a discount or upgrade. Also, call up the sat company and see what they offer, getting local programing is not usally something you can get with a dish though. Right now with Rogers they are offering a PVR, 3 additional TV hook ups, High Speed Internet and Home Phone with Unlimited calling for $100 a mth guaranteed for 3 years, no contract. wish I had them in my neighborhood, lol. any questions let me know.

hey dave
check the costs on boxes. 1.5 years ago we had direct tv. it has a way better picture than comcast or fios. also back to the boxes comcast was charging us 7.50 for a standard box and direct tv was 5.00 if you have a few tv's that adds up. direct tv has the local channels around here on their system so no need for ext antenna hooked to box for local. if you are just looking for tv you'll get more channels with direct on the minimun plan than comcast. if your looking for a package and internet speed is a must fios is way faster and their wireless modem serves a bigger area in the house and yard than comcast. we had problem with tv cutting out 2 to 3 times a day on fios so comcast bought out the remaining 6 months we had with fios and gave us HBO and ENCORE for free for the 2 year deal. as said above lay it out to them and see what the offer will be

frank

Just Roku for us. Roku free drivel is better than pay drivel via cable or satellite. My wife and I are on a mission to reduce our cost of living, and the satellite TV was an easy target.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I am a full fledged cable guy, install for Rogers. #1, Depends how old the cables are and if they all run back to the same place. If you have fairly new RG6 all running back to one area in your house, usually the electrical panel then you should be good. If you have older rg59 and you have a bunch of splitters hiding in the walls then the tech will want to replace them. If not, he is not a good tech. #2, Unless you have a steep cliff wall right outside you house then you will likely be good. I have seen them installed and have done it myself pointing almost at the ground and it still picks up reception. #3, Yes

I would be very surprised if Sat will be cheaper than CATV. Best bet is too call you provider and lay it on the line. Tell them I am planning to move to Satellite, what are my option. Sometimes that gets them to offer a discount or upgrade. Also, call up the sat company and see what they offer, getting local programing is not usally something you can get with a dish though. Right now with Rogers they are offering a PVR, 3 additional TV hook ups, High Speed Internet and Home Phone with Unlimited calling for $100 a mth guaranteed for 3 years, no contract. wish I had them in my neighborhood, lol. any questions let me know.

I'm sure most local channels come with the basic Sat. packages. They have with all the Sat. installs I've had in various parts of the U.S.

What I meant was that most Cable providers have a Community type channel, that you wont get with Satellite.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I called back Comcast and told them the deal DISH was giving me....they dropped the price and gave me a better deal, so I think I am going to stick with Comast for the time being. I did call DISH and after about an hour of chat I really got pissed off as they wanted both my SS# and a credit card # just to verify my credit score. (I work in financial services to know that they don't need a major credit card to run a credit check on me) I just really got fed up by the pushiness of the DISH folks.
The other issue is that I kind of live in the sticks, and when it even comes to phone or cable, COMCAST is the only provider...and I also think if I opted out of my TV and went to DISH my pricing on my phone and internet would go up as it not bundled and Comcast has me by the balls as ATT no longer provides phone service to my area and wireless phone in unreliable. Thanks for all your help....much appreciated.

Reactions: SKIN052

Too bad Rogers is sometimes flaky....friends of mine have it and I am told they can never reach their max speeds as announced (hence why it says Speeds up to..). But I guess that all depends on how many people in your area are on the pipe. What speeds are they offering right now?

Glad to see you made your choice.

Personally I am not a fan of a dish. Right now with my local cable provider I receive about 60 channels of TV, 20 Mbit download speeds (always) with a 125 gig cap and unlimited calling in North America 24/7 for $110 taxes inc.

the one thing no one said here if your a big tv watcher and the power goes out your screwed. the nice thing about sat tv is if you have a generator ya gut tv. if you have cable your SOL.

Too bad Rogers is sometimes flaky....friends of mine have it and I am told they can never reach their max speeds as announced (hence why it says Speeds up to..). But I guess that all depends on how many people in your area are on the pipe. What speeds are they offering right now?

Glad to see you made your choice.

Personally I am not a fan of a dish. Right now with my local cable provider I receive about 60 channels of TV, 20 Mbit download speeds (always) with a 125 gig cap and unlimited calling in North America 24/7 for $110 taxes inc.

Rogers would offer a better deal than that, more like 45Mbps per sec as part of a package deal. Hope I dont sound like a salesman here guys, just stating what I know.

Just Roku for us. Roku free drivel is better than pay drivel via cable or satellite. My wife and I are on a mission to reduce our cost of living, and the satellite TV was an easy target.

I realize the OP has been answered . . . but my wife and I went this route after dropping DirecTV. One of the best decisions we made -- we actually pay far, far less and get more viewing options now with Netflix and PlayOn. An added benefit that my wife mentions is that before she would often turn on the TV and plunk down in a chair when she was simply killing time . . . now we tend to watch less TV as you have to think a bit about what you want to watch vs. just watching what is on at the time.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Status
Not open for further replies.