Converting from Gas vented fireplace to wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpisarek

Nov 13, 2010
East
All,

I moved into my new house which has a fireplace that was originally wood burning and the previous owners added vented gas logs. I have removed the logs and also the cotton ball looking material that makes it look like embers are burning. I was wondering if I should leave the sand on top of the gas line (looks like a tube with 4 holes in it)? I would like to leave the gas "tube" there to allow for easy lighting. The gas line has a valve in the floor about 3 feet to the left of the hearth so I would just light the gas until the logs are burning then shut it off.

Also there is a c clamp holding the flue open about a half inch to allow carbon monoxide to be vented, I am guessing. Should I leave that in place and just open the flue fully when burning wood?

There are also four vents (two on each side) of the fireplace. The bottom two have small fans, do you think these were in place with the wood burner or added when the gas line was put in place?

I have attached a pic of the gas line / tube.

Appreciate any answers you can give me. If any other pictures would help let me know.

Attachments

• PB130768.jpg
    PB130768.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 227
Shaggyshags said:
All,

I moved into my new house which has a fireplace that was originally wood burning and the previous owners added vented gas logs. I have removed the logs and also the cotton ball looking material that makes it look like embers are burning. I was wondering if I should leave the sand on top of the gas line (looks like a tube with 4 holes in it)? I would like to leave the gas "tube" there to allow for easy lighting. The gas line has a valve in the floor about 3 feet to the left of the hearth so I would just light the gas until the logs are burning then shut it off.

You are correct. That's a vented gas log set. Looks like an RH Peterson product. Unless you change the burner to what is called a "log lighter," it's best to take everything out & plug the hole where the gas line comes in. The unit you have now is not constructed for, tested for or intended to do what you want it to do.

Also there is a c clamp holding the flue open about a half inch to allow carbon monoxide to be vented, I am guessing. Should I leave that in place and just open the flue fully when burning wood?

Take the Damper clip off if you're gonna burn wood. Otherwise the opening will either allow cold air to come in or - MORE LIKELY let warm air - that you've already paid to heat - to flow out. Open it when in use & close it when the fire's out

There are also four vents (two on each side) of the fireplace. The bottom two have small fans, do you think these were in place with the wood burner or added when the gas line was put in place?

Those are heatilators that were built into the masonry at the time of the fire place construction

I have attached a pic of the gas line / tube.

Appreciate any answers you can give me. If any other pictures would help let me know.

Thanks for the great information. I have taken a look at a couple log lighters online and they do not look to hard to install, kind like adding a new gas line for a dryer or something. Do you recommend getting a professional to install one of these or can it be a DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.