converting hydraulic splitter to gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpmn

Nov 6, 2016
Northern Minnesota
Recently acquired this splitter and need to either convert it to gas engine or sell it so I can get what I need to split ~7 cords a year for the home. Looking for input on this units capabilities. It's got 2 cylinder rams. Looks like a 3" and a 2" on the wedge. Valve is a chief by badestnost no clue on specs. So I'm wondering what I need to get this thing splitting. Or how much its worth.
IMG_20161106_143546072.jpg
IMG_20161106_143512136.jpg
IMG_20161104_201352580.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a splitter set up like that.
I would guess around $400. to convert to a gas setup, unless you can find good used motor or pump. You will also need to mount a plate to hold everything.

I don't think I have ever seen a splitter set up like that.
I would guess around $400. to convert to a gas setup, unless you can find good used motor or pump. You will also need to mount a plate to hold everything.
Yeah I've been looking at mounting options and there are a few. What I'm wondering is what size engine and hydraulic pump should I get? Also is there any other parts I need to do the conversion?

Based on what you've mentioned, and the pics provided, I'd sell it. Without a doubt. Could be a real hassle trying to convert that to gas powered, and I can see a lot of ergonomic and design flaws in it, say when compared to the typical 22 ton Speeco/Huskee/CountyLine type splitter. It's just not a very well designed splitter from the pictures you've provided. And the 2 moving rams look dangerous and overly complicated. Watching both ends of the machine on both ends of the log seems like an accident waiting to happen. Have you ever used this thing or seen it in operation? 2 moving pressure points looks overly complicated, and dangerous to me. I assume you'd just use the wedge end when splitting most of the time, but what's the fun in that?

Those modern little 22 ton splitters are easy to use, have plenty of power, and with a log catcher/table installed are very efficient, and can hold multiple rounds while you're getting ready to split, or on larger rounds can hold the 1/2 of the split while you're noodling down the other half. Look at the cradle on the beam where the logs sit on a Speeco, vs. the one you have that will require constant balancing of the logs especially odd and large sized ones. And as soon as you split, the halves will fall off each side, and with 2 moving rams, it's more difficult and dangerous to use, and it can't go vertical for larger rounds. Sell it and get a purpose built and well designed gas powered splitter.

On price, there's a lot of variables. I'm guessing I'd ask in the neighborhood of 450 for yours, but I'd take less if it doesn't sell.

I'm not saying yours wouldn't work as a gas powered unit, but it would take a lot of time and effort to convert it, and a fair amount of money if you want to do it right, and you'd still have a very poorly designed splitter IMO. I wouldn't want to use it, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I did it. I originally bought the speeco 3 point model to use on the back of a tractor. For numerous reasons, it sucked. And I wasn't going to get my money back out of it. So I welded up a tank, had an axle and wheels and welded up the whole frame. The things you need is a motor, pump, and oil tank. I got a harbor fright 6.5hp motor for $100, 13.6gpm pump from northern tool, and you can buy oil tanks if you don't want to weld one up. Those hydraulic cylinders on your unit don't look like 4 inch cylinders. They look really small. Or is it an optical illusion?

Odd design. As said above its just the addition of a tank,engine and pump. The real question is....will you like the splitter when done. A 3" ram at typical splitter pressure is going to be weak.

I ended up finding a local guy here to trade with. He said he likes projects, and I just need to get some wood split yesterday. I got an old "Northern Hydraulics" modified splitter, it's splitting some 20" maple pretty well so I am happy. Weakest thing is its got an old tecumseh engine off an snowblower. Anyway, Thanks for all your input fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.