Converting my gas fireplace to double sided?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bchandler

Dec 2, 2010
Connecticut
I have a fireplace that was once a wood burning fireplace. A previous owner put in a gas insert...so now it's a gas fireplace I guess... We're updating our house and were wondering if it's possible to turn this fireplace into a double sided gas fireplace. I saw answers in regards to a double sided wood burning fireplace having problems with smoke coming back into the room, etc...but would I face those problems with gas? What would be the pros and cons in my situation?

Thanks. Any answers would be appreciated.

You can do it, but you won't like the price.
The removal of everything you have in there - the insert & venting. Masonry fire place. Chimney system.
You've probably got a one day labor charge just for the destruction phase.
Probably at LEAST $1500...
Now you have to frame the enclosure for the unit & the venting another 1/2 day + materials
Probably $1200...
The multi-sided fireplaces are a couple of grand - JUST for the unit.
Add venting. Add fronts. Add blower. Add remote. Add installation.
Probably ANOTHER $4-5K...
Now you have to add the stone finish & mantel to BOTH sides.
Probably ANOTHER $2K min...
Do the math...
My number may be high or low, but that's a guess at doing this project in this area...

I always tell people... we can do anything you want. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Get a budget together first, then see if you can afford the project.

It has been done. As the others said, very expensive, but the end result can be extraordinary!

Status
Not open for further replies.