converting stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
We bought a house last year built in 1982. I found an original invoice for the chimney. it was originally for coal, then a couple of years ago they put in a gas stove. The invoice says install chimney with 6'x8' brick face 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" flues inside 16" chimney block with brick face. cleanout door facing exterior of chimney. My questions are, in using the xxv and the 6" pipe kit for bringing pipe above stove, can i do one of 2 things.....go straight out the cleanout door and put on the cap, or if i use the chimney venting from the top, do i have to put the pellet piping all the way up or can i use the piping already there? hope this makes sense....thanks.

jim

You can go straight out with a Pellet stove if you want. You may get black soot on the side of your house though.

The existing piping is going to be for a gas stove, you definitely don't want to use that for the pellet unit. If you tear that out all that would be left is the 8x8 clay flue. It would be best to reline that using a 3" SS flex made for pellet venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.