Convincing A Stubborn Soul...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
A local friend of mine is considering buying an OWB for installation before next season.

Ultimately, I think he will probably base his decision on cost and advertised 'ease of installation' rather than *any* other factor... not efficiency, convenience of use, cleanliness of burn or other considerations.

I doubt very much he'll go for it, but I would like to try to steer him toward a true gasifier with some storage... (or even a nice modern indoor wood stove)... but despite the fact that I call him a friend, he's the most bull headed human I know.

In past, I've repeatedly offered to help him make his 70 (+) year old built-in basement furnace a little more efficient and safe, but he's blown off all of my offers...

Can any of you think of anything I can tell this guy that might convince him that a 'standard' OWB isn't the way to go?

His house is in a fairly remote/removed rural location where the smoke is not likely to cause problems for other neighbors, but all the same...

Last question: Is there any rough rule of thumb cost comparison / ratio between the least expensive OWB and the least expensive (decent) gasifier set up?

Thanks For Your Time.

Peter B.

-----

^^^^That's the deal. The rule of thumb is about half as much wood consumed for the same amount of heat.

OTOH, you can't burn green wood in a gasifier, while you can get away with it in an OWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.