Cook Stove Fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waynek

Jan 15, 2009
Southern WI
Cook stove fuel seasoning to burn winter of 2010-2011.
cookstovewood.jpg

Round Oak cookstove.
28860006-2.jpg

Jackpine, you're back! Your ears must have been burning. I was just telling northwinds this morning that our western neighbors must have taken the summer off and lo and behold, here you are!

That's a nice old Round Oak ... isn't it a tad close to the combustible wall? Or are thos non-combustible logs?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Those splits look too big for a cookstove.

Jags said:
I'll bet the smell and taste of a freshly baked loaf of bread out of that thing is crazy good.

To be honest, I have never baked bread in the oven, but my beer-can chicken or a venison roast is to die for.

wendell said:
Jackpine, you're back! Your ears must have been burning. I was just telling northwinds this morning that our western neighbors must have taken the summer off and lo and behold, here you are!

Summer activities have been very time consuming, but I have been a lurker on this website from time to time. Northwinds is located near the Wisconsin river, correct? If so, I have been by is place several times this summer in a canoe or kayak.

LLigetfa said:

yup I agree.

Nice stove Jack but you want soft junk wood for cooking like willow or poplar and split smaller. Not that I cook but I use to help my grandmother with her cook stove.

TreePapa said:
That's a nice old Round Oak ... isn't it a tad close to the combustible wall? Or are thos non-combustible logs?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Thanks for compliment on the Round Oak, Sequoia. The stove is a model K 312, "Arrow Buffet" Range of 1935 vintage and it has served me well for many years

The picture is an optical illusion. There is a minimum of 36 inches between the stove and the wall. My insurance agent made sure of that.
Jackpine

LLigetfa said:

Good eye there, sir. The splits will be worked into cookstove size in the late fall and stacked undercover. Looking at the stacks from left to right...left of the tree is a mixture of Black oak, White Oak and Red elm. To the right of the tree is a mixture of Black cherry, Black walnut and Paper birch. High BTU's to the left, low BTU's to the right and it remains separate when it goes under the shed lean-to.
jackpine

savageactor7 said:
LLigetfa said:

yup I agree.

Nice stove Jack but you want soft junk wood for cooking like willow or poplar and split smaller. Not that I cook but I use to help my grandmother with her cook stove.

You are correct...size matters when firing a cookstove. In addition, tree species matters and it has been great fun to experiment with both. I still marvel at the temperature changes you can put a stove through by manipulating dampers, draft and fuel characteristics.
jackpine

That's a beautiful old stove and nice woodpile!

LLigetfa said:

You beat me to it. As soon as I saw the picture and that it is for a cook stove, my first thought was that the wood is too big for a cook stove.

Best for cook stoves is really small stuff and something that gives good heat fast but not for long. We used to use a lot of pine for cooking. Popple works pretty good too. We even burned corn cobs.

That sure is a nice looking stove!

You beat me to it. As soon as I saw the picture and that it is for a cook stove, my first thought was that the wood is too big for a cook stove.

Best for cook stoves is really small stuff and something that gives good heat fast but not for long. We used to use a lot of pine for cooking. Popple works pretty good too. We even burned corn cobs.

That sure is a nice looking stove![/quote]

Thanks for the kind word about the stove.

Regarding the size of the splits and fuel species, I have been very particular about both after using various wood cook stoves for over 40 years. I keep several sizes of splits on hand, small, medium and large and each size serves a purpose depending on weather, cooking or baking requirements and heating needs. I have never burned corn cobs but my folks and grandparents did on the farm. Pine was used only for kindling and a quick, hot fire. On the farm we had two cook stoves...one in the house kitchen and one in the summer kitchen. During the warm summer months all the cooking and canning was done on the summer kitchen stove.

This particular cook stove is in my cabin and only source of heat. It does not function well as a heating stove because it requires frequent addition of fuel. In cold weather and we are outdoors most of the day we fire it up in the morning and again late afternoon or early evening.
Jackpine

Jack, it sounds like you have everything under control!

Status
Not open for further replies.