cook stove on a screen porch chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott M

Nov 3, 2012
Blairstown, NJ
I bought a chinese made vogelzang rancher cook stove. I want to put it in my screened in porch. Do all the same chimney rules apply ? I was hoping I could go through the screen with a thimble and then straight up with black single wall pipe. Is that ok or should get double wall stuff ? I dont really want to go through the roof if I dont have to because its a cheap stove and it may not last a real long time. seeking options and opinions.

I bought a chinese made vogelzang rancher cook stove. I want to put it in my screened in porch. Do all the same chimney rules apply ? I was hoping I could go through the screen with a thimble and then straight up with black single wall pipe. Is that ok or should get double wall stuff ? I dont really want to go through the roof if I dont have to because its a cheap stove and it may not last a real long time. seeking options and opinions.
Yes you still need a proper chimney. It can still catch your porch on fire no different if it is inside or out.

Just as soon as that flue penetrates the wall or ceiling, it has to become Class A chimney from there to daylight. I can't imagine what sort of wall pass through you think will work in screen.