Cookies and ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxed_out

Jan 19, 2010
Central Pa
just wondering what you guys think about the wood in the pics. On the left in each frame is lovely Ash but on the right is something I'm not familiar with. It is tough as nails to split, whether its frozen or warm. I cut a shortie and split it for you but it took about 5 whacks and its real stringy. If I have any larger pieces I'll have to cookie them to fit into the stove. Any thoughts on what it could be???

Attachments

• CIMG1218.jpg
    CIMG1218.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 488
  • CIMG1219.jpg
    CIMG1219.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 483
  • CIMG1220.jpg
    CIMG1220.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 491
StackedLumber said:
I'm no expert but looks like Elm to me
+1 on elm for me

I think it looks like Black Locust, except that the bark seems a little too shallowly furrowed and too thin. However, I think the yellow wood looks like locust. The American elm I have split has a darker brown wood.

I don't really know elm, but I've never split a piece of black locust that was stringy and tough to split like that. I'd guess elm based on a large round I tried to split a long time ago. Drove two wedges - side by side - straight through without being able to separate the halves.

Oh yeah, forgot to add... black locust has very thin sapwood.

I called elm b/c of the bark and b/c of the stringy nature of it, never seen locust stringy like that, but I've cut very little locust at that!

Take a pocket knife and cut a small cross-section chunk of bark out from the round - if you see alternating dark and light (I call it vanilla and chocolate) layered bands through the cross-section, you've got elm (American elm, that is). Cheers!

I don't know what it is, but whatever it is it's really cool looking wood with those rings....

That is Elm for sure. It splits better when the bark is falling off - a.k.a. "slippery elm". You can split it, but it will take a lot of effort.

growth rings like that Iam going with tuilp.

I see btus! :cheese:

just providing halftime entertainment...so far from the posts above it looks like elm *may be* our winner. I didnt think we had any left in PA???

By the way, even though its still way green those cookies burn like crap. Just sits there in the stove eventually burns down after about 2 reloads.

maxed_out said:
...so far from the posts above it looks like elm *may be* our winner. I didnt think we had any left in PA???

There are actually a lot of large, live american elms around this part of central PA (State College area). There are plenty of places with lots of dead ones too, but they aren't all dead.

Note to self: Do not take Retired Guy camping.

Retired Guy said:
To me, elm smells like you pissed on a campfire when it burns.

bigtall said:
Note to self: Do not take Retired Guy camping.

Retired Guy said:
To me, elm smells like you pissed on a campfire when it burns.

:) :) :) . . . gave me a good chuckle this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.