Cooking a Turkey with a Pellet Stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDad320

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2008
NW New Jersey
Anyone have any recipes??? Anyone done this before??? What setting should I use????

You need a pellet grill with some mesquite pellets... mmm tasty!

krooser said:
You need a pellet grill with some mesquite pellets... mmm tasty!

You are correct sir. But the wife overruled me and is cooking the 25 lbs bird in the oven, something about traditional from the past 4 yrs in the deep fryer. Hey if I pull the bird apart can I put it in the hopper.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty..........

Eric

Cooked Lasagna once on a Jotal wood stove when the power went out.

The turkey jammed the auger. I tried to ram it through with a broom stick. Now that's stuck too!!!! Any advice?????

BadDad320 said:
The turkey jammed the auger. I tried to ram it through with a broom stick. Now that's stuck too!!!! Any advice?????

try pouring gravy into your hopper to lubricate the auger ;-)

No turkey in the stove but you can cook baked potatoes in there no problem. Don't ask me how I know this :)[/quote]

Thanks. We love crispy baked potatoes....never thought about wrapping them in aluminum foil and baking them in ol'faithful.

I've only warmed yeast rolls on and baked a pumkin pie in mine, I can't imagine cooking a turkey, I'd be too nervous that it would be under cooked. Oh, also will keep gravy warm until ready to serve.

I wonder if I could do rotisserie chicken or kabobs on skewers. Just thinking about it is making me hungry.

BadDad320 said:

If you wiggle it back and forth while pulling the broom stick should come right out no problem. As far as the turkey goes, you may have to call your installer if you're still under warranty, I'm sure they will replace any damaged parts. Let me know how this all works out.

Is there such thing as a pellet cook stove? I know they have the pellet BBQ's and there are wood cook stoves Jutal makes one.
But is there a real pellet cook stove?

That turkey will come out real nice especialy with the light grey ash coating effect,

I sometimes cook a roast on the exhaust manifold of the CAT diesel in my Peterbilt... works great! season it, add onions and potatoes, wrap it in tinfoil then drive 65 MPH for 3 hours... yummy!

Low, slow and juicy sounds good! How about just a breast wrapped in aluminum foil? Could cook it on low overnight.

sydney1963 said:
Low, slow and juicy sounds good! How about just a breast wrapped in aluminum foil?

Sydney, are you sure your talking about cooking turkey? Hmmmmmm ;-)

No I'm not so sure now. LOL

I stopped by a booth for pellet grills last week at a show in Vegas. They told me you cannot use the same pellets I use in my stove to cook food. When I asked how much per ton it costs to buy pellets for grilling, they told me around $1800. Holy Crap! Thats a long way from 250 we pay for fuel pellets. There answer was there are things in our fuel pellets that are not safe to cook with. But dont worry they said, you sell the cooking pellets by the bag, consumers dont buy them by the ton..

a friend bought one and had a bit o trouble getting it up to temps he was looking for , i havent played with one ,but i could probably build one easily with what i have available at the shop, (all i am lacking is the time to do it)

Deffy said:
No turkey in the stove but you can cook baked potatoes in there no problem. Don’t ask me how I know this

after the potato is baked, put it back into the hopper with some sour cream and bacos.

wait a min by the burn pot with a plate for a tasty treat.

alright, this is not the first person to mention the potato thing. Someone has got to come up with a name for potatoes cooked in a pellet stove, You cant call em red neck tats, cause hell they will cook em on an engine for gods sakes, we need a new name for honest pellet cooked food. something like the Harman Hash boys, or the pellet pig mashers,,, give it your best shot...

BadDad320 said:

Alive or dead?

Eric

Bushbuck said:
I stopped by a booth for pellet grills last week at a show in Vegas. They told me you cannot use the same pellets I use in my stove to cook food. When I asked how much per ton it costs to buy pellets for grilling, they told me around $1800. Holy Crap! Thats a long way from 250 we pay for fuel pellets. There answer was there are things in our fuel pellets that are not safe to cook with. But dont worry they said, you sell the cooking pellets by the bag, consumers dont buy them by the ton..

I have a Treager and all I use is ProPellet. Taste yummie to me and the tribe.

Cook on, Dude

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.