cooking and square foot questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CutTheCord

Sep 24, 2008
New York
We are probably going to get a Jotul 400 Castine. It does not have a cooktop per se but some threads here spoke of being able to cook on it. Can someone give me an idea of whether we could cook on it and how that works exactly? Would the top be extremely hot, enough to cook anything, ie boil water, cook eggs, etc. or is it more of a low heat like a crock pot?

Also, this model indicates it is appropriate for house size 1600 square foot. Initially I wanted to buy a stove that was for a bigger area than our house, because I wouldn't mind having it be very warm indoors and openning the doors. However, I am hearing that to keep creosote down, the stove should burn as hot as it can, so it is better to get the correct size stove and burn it hot, rather than a bigger stove and not burn it as hot. My house is about 1600 square feet which includes 3 floors, the stove being in the middle main floor. I am deciding between the 400 and the 500 which is indicating up to 2000 square feet.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.