Cooking dinner on a nc30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve kohlhagen

Jan 10, 2012
North Georgia
I have read posts on cooking in and on a wood stove with very good results. I' getting hungry just writing this.
Have any of you with a two tiered top stove tried this? Does the nc30 have enough room to use a dutch oven or Lodge skillet with any effeciency?

Steve

my #9 cast iron dutch oven fits just fine on the lower step of the stove. I'll set a trivet or piece of soapstone down on the upper part of the stove top to keep things warm up there.

Depending on what you are cooking, you may or may not need a trivet underneath.

pen

I do use the stove top to simmer stuff all the time. Like Pen said it may or may not require a trivet. I mostly use it after bringing the pot or pan to a boil on the electric kitchen, then finish on the wood stove. At my old house I had a bigger stove and more heat so it was regular activity. Saves a good amount on the electric bill.

pen said:
my #9 cast iron dutch oven fits just fine on the lower step of the stove. I'll set a trivet or piece of soapstone down on the upper part of the stove top to keep things warm up there.

Depending on what you are cooking, you may or may not need a trivet underneath.

pen

have you got a pic of that Pen?

wife cooked breakfast on our nc30 during our october snowstorm. Eggs and toast.

KatWill said:
have you got a pic of that Pen?

Hope nobody minds that I've shared these here before. I'll have to update the pics, apparently haven't taken one with food on or in the stove since I moved to the NC-30. This is from a few years back when I still had the fisher.

The stove may change, but this dutch oven won't :coolsmirk: Things like chili (chicken or beef) is another good choice for easy wood stove cooking. Also things like short ribs (beef) or country style pork ribs either bbq or w/ sauerkraut, or Kielbasa and kraut, also what I call a "boiled dinner" with left over ham cubes, the ham bone, rutabaga, carrots, potato, and cabbage, etc, etc. Lots of options.

01282009001.jpg

01282009003.jpg

01282009002.jpg

This was pot roast.

I also have a box of salt that I use exclusively for cooking (not adding to the food, but for cooking on). I'll throw 3/4 to an 1 inch of kosher salt in the bottom of the dutch oven and then bake potatoes in there on that salt. Depending on how hard the stove is running, I'll sometimes do it on top, sometimes inside.

pen

Pen,
That's a nice old dutch oven and the stew looks delicious!

Ray

raybonz said:
Pen,

Ray

I was just thinking the same thing!

Wood stoves, dutch ovens, and stews were made for each other.... :)

woodchip said:
raybonz said:
Pen,

Ray

Indeed Woodchip! Maybe I can find an old Dutch oven like Pen's at a yardsale this summer! I will be on the lookout for sure! I reheated a few slices of pizza on a piece of foil on the stovetop and it came out very crispy in a short time..

Ray

raybonz said:
woodchip said:
raybonz said:
Pen,

Ray

Indeed Woodchip! Maybe I can find an old Dutch oven like Pen's at a yardsale this summer! I will be on the lookout for sure! I reheated a few slices of pizza on a piece of foil on the stovetop and it came out very crispy in a short time..

Ray

If you get an old one and are handy, they are quite easy to bring back to life using some oven cleaner, a scrapper, stiff brush, and a little effort. Then can be seasoned up on a gas grill on med-high coated in crisco and turned upside down and heated until they stop smoking. Repeat if necessary.

They can be had pretty cheap off of ebay if you don't have to ship them far. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tite+top+dutch+oven&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Brand new ones can be found in walmart's sporting good section, or other big chain sporting goods stores such as Dick's or Gander Mtn.

Here is one I redid that my grandfather made (he worked in a foundry for 20+ years) decades ago. It covered a lawnmower at his cabin for my entire life. June of '10 I asked him if I could redo it. After seeing it done, he said "damn, if I knew someone would actually cook with it I would have made the lid." :gulp:

It's too big for the wood stove but I don't mind using some propane to get to use this beast.

Preparation, removing rust

6-20-10010.jpg

Standard 10 inch skillet on the range

fathersday100112.jpg

Here is what I affectionately call "panzilla" on the range after getting it seasoned.

fathersday100122.jpg

While I'm partial to cast iron and use it for almost all of my cooking / baking, anything w/ heat resistant handles can be used on the top of the stove. If it is teflon coated, just watch your temp carefully. If you plan on using something inside of the stove, I'd only recommend cast iron.

pen

Just tried finding the link I had to a wood stove cooking cook book that someone shared online. I deleted firefox and started over and apparently that was lost in the change and I can't find it by searching now, but if you do some searches keep your eyes open for it as it had a lot of great ideas.

This isn't a book but a few recipes that may interest you. http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/myers127.html

pen

raybonz said:
Walmart carries Lodge cast iron Dutch ovens at a good price. They also carry some dutch oven cook books at the bottom of the page.

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ch+oven&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Ray

If I were shopping, this 7qt from wally world would be the one I would be interested in. Large enough to cook a small-med chicken in there or a big pot of whatevertheheckuwant. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-7-Qt.-Dutch-Oven/5969632 I'm cooking for a family so I prefer the larger size. Obviously, the smaller ones would work just as well.

If you buy, don't forget the trivet (like this) http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pre-Sea...RXKQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1327273022&sr=8-8 I have one of these for on top of the stove, and another for leaving right in the bottom of the dutch oven w/ doing a roast or chicken, etc, so that it isn't swimming.

pen

pen said:
If you get an old one and are handy, they are quite easy to bring back to life using some oven cleaner, a scrapper, stiff brush, and a little effort. Then can be seasoned up on a gas grill on med-high coated in crisco and turned upside down and heated until they stop smoking. Repeat if necessary.

pen
Please elaborate on the process pen. Like how long would you let the cleaner work, rinse before scraping, wash after seasoning???

Loco Gringo said:
pen said:

pen
Please elaborate on the process pen. Like how long would you let the cleaner work, rinse before scraping, wash after seasoning???

I'll start by saying this is one of those things where 10 people who use cast well, will give you 10 different recommendations. This is simply how I do it and has worked well for me.

Oven cleaner can't hurt the cast iron, so spray it on and let it sit up to the specified time on the can (usually up to 24 hrs) If you let it set that long, I usually will put it in a garbage bag or inside of a plastic tote to sit so that the cleaner doesn't dry too quickly w/ air exposure. Sometimes I'll let it sit overnight, sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 24, depends. If it is dry when I come back to scrape w/ a metal putty knife, old metal spatula, etc, then just spray some new cleaner on and give it another few minutes to reactivate. I'll also use a wire brush (like you'd use for battery terminals) for cleaning out the markings for the manufacturer or just general scrubbing. If you notice in my picture above, I'm using a DA sander on that bad boy! There are many options but you need to get the built up grease / seasoning off first if you want to start fresh.

I do that until I get all thick things off and end up w/ a grey piece of cast iron. At this point you can rinse it, wash it w/ an sos pad, pretty much anything you want since you've removed all off the old seasoning. Just make sure you wash it and rinse it well, towel dry, then place it on the stove for a few minutes to drive out any remaining moisture so as to not get surface rust.

Then I'll give it a light but even coating of either crisco or true lard. Then I place the pan upside down (so that no puddles from the grease can form) on a gas grill and fire at med-high ~ 500 degrees, until it stops smoking. Shut the grill off, let it cool on it's own then reevaluate if it needs to do the seasoning process again.

I seasoned that huge skillet 2x in one day. That was nearly 2 years ago and it's not looking like I am going to have to re-season again.

The best thing you can do for your cast iron is to bake in it. Biscuits are great, making homemade pizza's, even the store bought pop and bake crescent rolls, the quick meal chicken nuggets, or snack mozzarella sticks, etc, etc. Baking really helps to keep the seasoning up.

Once it is first seasoned, I prefer to make the first few meals be either baking as I mentioned or things like grilled cheese sandwiches or pancakes. I give it a few easy tasks like that before I throw bacon and eggs at it.

It takes a bit of effort to get them right, but once you do, they are priceless IMO. If cleaning is necessary other than just wiping it out w/ a paper towel, you can wipe the grease out and add a tablespoon or two of kosher salts and wipe around to clean. Or, just use warm-hot water and a vegetable brush then dry well. Once it is seasoned well, and I bake something like fish in the pan, I will put it in soap and water to clean. Once well seasoned, it isn't going to hurt the pan a bit to see some soap occasionally. If you do wash w/ the brush or soap and water, dry and warm the pan and give it just a quick shot w/ canola oil and wipe out the excess so it's ready for next time.

This all sounds much harder than it really is. But these things stand the test of time if treated well. I'm so used to being able to take skillets from the range top to the stove anymore, that I'd be lost w/ a non-heat proof handled skillet. So long as you don't do something really stupid, they will last a lifetime+++ (my kids get to eat meals out of one of their Great-great grandmother's skillets that has been in use for about 95 years, that's something to me).

Also, even with a brand new "pre-seasoned" pan, I wash the snot out of it and then give it the lard and go to the grill. Only pan I've ever had trouble with which is a modern pan, is the one that I started out using it w/ the pre-seasoned layer on it from the factory w/out adding my own right away. I ended up having to re-season that bugger 2 or 3 times a year before I got it right.

Also, it will take getting used to the temp settings of your stove top when using them for the first few times. I like using my IR temp gun I bought for the wood stove to help out there.

ETA, some will recommend simply throwing an old pan into coals in your wood stove to clean it and start fresh. While I might try that on a 20 dollar new skillet if it really had me frustrated for some reason, there is no way I'd do that to an antique. The smooth finish of the old pans is not they seasoning, they were made that way and nobody is doing that process anymore. Getting an antique and treating it well is something to cherish. Other people will prefer a low and slow seasoning approach with a lot more oil in the pan and upright but I never had luck w/ that.

pen

pen said:
[ETA, some will recommend simply throwing an old pan into coals in your wood stove to clean it and start fresh. While I might try that on a 20 dollar new skillet if it really had me frustrated for some reason, there is no way I'd do that to an antique. The smooth finish of the old pans is not they seasoning, they were made that way and nobody is doing that process anymore. Getting an antique and treating it well is something to cherish. Other people will prefer a low and slow seasoning approach with a lot more oil in the pan and upright but I never had luck w/ that. pen

Most new cast iron here is made in China, and has quite a rough pitted finish if studied carefully.

Simplest way to deal with those is an orbital sander to get it smooth, and then season as usual.

Simpler still is to avoid anything Chinese, try to get good old cast iron, and treat it with care and respect for it's age ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.