Cooking gear??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Someone recently mentioned cooking a turkey on the Progress in a damper thread, but now I can't find it. Would whoever posted the cooking comment please advise what kind of pan worked/works on top of the stove for the turkey? PM me if this is a topic I'll get in trouble for again. Thanks--

I was telling my wife about that too. I am also curious.

Hi -

I am not familiar with that stove.

However I spend a good deal of time in the bush and cook on various stoves and open fires often.

I have used a roaster, with the wire 'basket thingy' that props the meat off the bottom so it does not scorch. I use a bit more water, and also chopp a couple onions and put them in the pot/pan first so if anything starts to scorch it's the onions. In the bush I don't have the wire deal and have substituted everything from silver ware to large pieces of clean gravel.

I sometimes cover the top of the covered pot or roaster with a folded cloth to keep more of the heat in. If the boiling is gettnig to active a smashed flat clean (palnt, etc burnt off in stove already) can undet the pot can scale back the intensity of the heat.

It's a slow cooking deal... I've made pies, roasts, stews...

Good luck!
Mike

I don't think any PM is necessary? But you can PM me witj any questions. I had talked with Lorin at Woodstock about getting a basically topless soapstone box as big as we could manage made so I could convert the top of the stove to am oven. Have been makeshift doing it with pieces of soapstone on my Fireview for years, but never with a truely closed structure. Lorin indicated it would be a bit pricing. and they'd have to figure out a way to cement it that would stand up to the temps, they could look into it in the off-season. Then on 12/21 I got my PH installed, took one look at the beautiful big top and a lightbulb went off. Went up the 3rd floor where i store stuff and got out a big old heavy Magnalite brand roasting pan that I used to cook the turkey in when the kids were young. It is large , casr, heavy covered deep roasting pan with a flat about 1/8 inch thick rack not on legs..just a few again about 1/8 inch thick bubbles stick down and keep the turkey just slightly off the bottom of the pan. Decided it was worth a try. Had a fresh Jaindl turkey purchased at Hannaford in Watertown. Ten Christmas morning built a fire, put two pieces of soapstone theize of 1/2 the Fireview top on each side of the pPH top, each piec e sticking slightly off the top one left one right, leaving an ara open in the middle. Put a thermometer on the center area and the back of one of the sides. Got a cat brn going right away. Cruised along at a really steady temp..by recollection around 375 to 400 on the stove top and about 325 on the upper soapstone slabs. Went in and made stuffing for the bird...a big bird...checked the stove top a bit before 11. A stuffed turkey-20 minutes a pound-7 hours for my bird. So I took a chance, put it in the pan-just turkey, no liquids or anything different than I would do in the oven-, top on the pan, pan on the stove and sort of anxiously kept an eye on the stove...after all this was Christmas dinner I was fiddling with...but the stove kept a nice steady temp all day. I didn't have to touch it. Stayed never over 375 on the secondary soapstone, never inder 325 the entire 7 hours. About an hour in the juices started simmeringand shortly after we got to enjoy the great aroma of turkey cooking. About 4-5 hrs in I added potatoes, then later sweet potatoes. May have added carrots and celery -don't recall-. ^PM I took the pan off the stove and took it into the kitchen where I placed it on double layers of thck potholders, while I got the readt of the meal togethre. Put the plates on the oven to heat. Best turkey I have ever had. Made gravyu. Turkey was succulant. Most of the juices stayed in the bird.. Put the juices I didn't used in a large mason jar, put in fridge and subsequent days heated slices of the bird in a bit of juice in a large frying pan. The whole thing worked perfectly. So a few days later I got my smaller Magnalite roasting pan out of storage and roasted a roast beef with just as good results. Sure glad I didn't get rid of these pans I hadn't used in years. They are really heavy and about 1/4 inch thick.. Another thing I've often done is bake russet type potatoes wrapped really well in foil directly on top of the secondary soapstone slab. The potatoes taste devine--almost like they are candied. The slow roasting does something to all the sugar stored in those carbs..good luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sorry- should have proofread---Here are corrections for the most egregious typos: you can PM me with questions-Lorin indicated it would be pricey because of the amount of soapstone, it is a cast aluminum pan, soapstone the size of half the Fireview top, leaving an area open in the middle, thermometer on the center area of the PH proper top and at the rear of a side secondary slab, got a cat burn going, never under 325, At 6PM I took the pan off the stove, while I got the rest of the meal together, made gravy, Put the pan juices I didn't use for gravy in a mason jar,

That covers the worst typos. Also , a great gift to me, none of the juices stuck on the pan anywhere and the roasting pan was a breeze to clean...as easy of non-stick cookwear.

My original post was "12/21 Progress Hybrid Replacing Fireview", and the correct temperaures were 420 on the PH top and 350 on the cooking slabs....I do remember the slab was 325 while I was getting the turkey ready...and my firewood was ironwood logs, which is part of why I had such a long slow steady fire at a great temp for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.