cooking inside the stove and firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
My stove has the regular tan colored firebrick. At least when it was new. I like to slow cook chicken inside the stove for an hour.
Anyone know if that firebrick lets off any fumes that are dangerous..??
I wrap my food in 2 layers of foil...

I'd say your fine. Perhaps they might out-gas something during the first few fires, but when you figure your stove top gets to 650 or 700 and the flue gases are approaching 900, how hot are those firebricks!!!

For me, if it can "live" in them environments, I'd be proud to call it friend.

Enjoy your roast chicken.

pen

I have been trying to find myself a cast iron dutch oven to do the same - cook inside the firebox. I'm not to worried about fumes from the stuff inside, but I am wondering if anyone has a recipie they have tried for firebox cooking? Us small insert folks need to get a little innovative when it comes to cooking during the power outage - propane BBQ aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.