Cooking on/in a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The top of my englander get really hot. I'm sure I could skillet cook on the top. Maybe some hash browns and eggs. it would be good use for my cast iron skillets since I never cook with them on the glass top stove.

I don't know about any of you but next to a charcoal or wood grill the next best thing to cook a steak on is. A nice seasoned cast skillet.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Perfect for my set-up, just flip it back to manual light (it is in room temp / auto right now), and I'll be on my way to a perfect baked spud :cool:
I think on the next round I may experiment with Stove temp, maybe down around 2. I don't know yet but after I do it I will report back. Yesterday was room Temp Manual basically maintenance burn. I'd like to get a baked potato in under an hour , or know that I could get one in under an hour. If the potato is done the other veggies will be .

Reactions: jeremygrimm
I really am enjoying this post. It kind of opens a whole world of cooking for our family.

I am also maybe thinking of putting some baked beans up above the stove and if it gets to hot I could just move it back on the hopper lid.

I really am enjoying this post. It kind of opens a whole world of cooking for our family.

I am also maybe thinking of putting some baked beans up above the stove and if it gets to hot I could just move it back on the hopper lid.
I think trying to cook on top of a p61 would be a mid winter thing. We keep a dragon on top, inside is water, the water just about makes a little vapor of steam but it never comes to boil unless the pot is about empty. It takes about 24 hours to simmer the water out in mid winter burns. FWIW. This time of year much longer. But every stove is different. I'm not going to try and cook on top of the p61 but now that I know about the inside values for cooking it will become a regular I'm 100% sure. The wife is all on board for this kind of thing.

Yeah. I think this englander 25-pdv will reach 700 degrees on top if I crank it up. But if I keep it low it's still to hot to touch for more than a second. But it won't sizzle water drops. I'm going to get a thermometer and see what the top actually is On different heats. I'm excited to try this for next winter. I doubt we do much with it now. Winter is hopefully drawing to a close with the 50 degree Temps we are having here in ohio.

My stoves don't usually work hard enough to get the top hot enough to cook.

Heck, at my old house with a wood stove cranking, it took a long time to cook anything on the stove top (it was soapstone - stays cooler than cast iron), but it would cook and get water to steaming if I let the house get to about 90.

My stoves don't usually work hard enough to get the top hot enough to cook.

Heck, at my old house with a wood stove cranking, it took a long time to cook anything on the stove top (it was soapstone - stays cooler than cast iron), but it would cook and get water to steaming if I let the house get to about 90.
Hey it's 51 out so far today, Wow ! No baking in the stove this afternoon.

Time to pull out the solar cooker.

Interesting on the baked potatoes - wouldn't have enough space in the Elena to cook for my crew.

Great Aunt used to make biscuits on top of her wood stove at her boat-to cabin near Bancroft, Ontario. That was pre-electricity... my first trip there. Good memories!

When electric lines were brought in Uncle bucked up, split, stacked the wood in stacks that looked like beehives. Uncle's son got the place and it was sold. :( Wonder how long they lasted ...

Interesting on the baked potatoes - wouldn't have enough space in the Elena to cook for my crew.

Great Aunt used to make biscuits on top of her wood stove at her boat-to cabin near Bancroft, Ontario. That was pre-electricity... my first trip there. Good memories!
I bet one could hang 4 spuds from the exchanger flame guard without issue.

I still want to make a small, swing-in grill! That might be a summer project. Probably done running the stoves. 73 here today!!!! Of course, two nights ago it was 21. Crazy global warming!

I still want to make a small, swing-in grill! That might be a summer project. Probably done running the stoves. 73 here today!!!! Of course, two nights ago it was 21. Crazy global warming!
Someone was selling just the hopper and burner assembly to make your own grill. Nearly the same as the whole stoves at around $275.

Sort of a bootleg Traeger I assume?

For us on Cape Cod to have a 54 deg day and also have it sunny and not particularly windy in March is phenomenal, that was yesterday. Today is supposed to stay in the low to mid 30's.

We couldn't cook meat on the shelves of the P61 so I can see the idea of some sort of suspended rig in there with a drip tray of some sort. For us the foil wrap works, the wife is not up for ash on or in her food anyway. I say her in that she first brought it up, not that I like ash in my food either !! Oh she things this is wonderful discovery !

Last edited:
For us on Cape Cod to have a 54 deg day and also have it sunny and not particularly windy in March is phenomenal, that was yesterday. Today is supposed to stay in the low to mid 30's.

We couldn't cook meat on the shelves of the P61 so I can see the idea of some sort of suspended rig in there with a drip tray of some sort. For us the foil wrap works, the wife is not up for ash on or in her food anyway. I say her in that she first brought it up, not that I like ash in my food either !! Oh she things this is wonderful discovery !

50's yesterday - snowing this morning and 40 mph gusts. The joys of pre-spring :)

Hmm, wonder if a small pot on the side shelf could act like a small crock pot for cooking meat - let it simmer all day. Wouldn't feed an army, but enough for a couple of people.

50's yesterday - snowing this morning and 40 mph gusts. The joys of pre-spring :)

Hmm, wonder if a small pot on the side shelf could act like a small crock pot for cooking meat - let it simmer all day. Wouldn't feed an army, but enough for a couple of people.
Hmmm, we have some little one person crocks that when I make onion soup we use to bake the cheese on top. Good thinking Bogieb !! I'll see if those fit in, if so Beef Bourguignon and baked potatoes here we come !

Edit: Yes, perfect fit !! LOL Bogieb

Edit: oops my wife says these are not cooking crocks, though they get fired long enough to melt the cheese, they might not take the long term oven heat ( stove heat). They cost enough, they should be oven usable, IMO.

Last edited:
Hmmm, we have some little one person crocks that when I make onion soup we use to bake the cheese on top. Good thinking Bogieb !! I'll see if those fit in, if so Beef Bourguignon and baked potatoes here we come !

Edit: Yes, perfect fit !! LOL Bogieb

Edit: oops my wife says these are not cooking crocks, though they get fired long enough to melt the cheese, they might not take the long term oven heat ( stove heat). They cost enough, they should be oven usable, IMO.

Maybe there are small replacement inserts on the webz. I see 1.5 qt crock pots for $15 on amazon too. Hey, I want you to do the experiment for me, not go to the trouble myself - LOL

Maybe there are small replacement inserts on the webz. I see 1.5 qt crock pots for $15 on amazon too. Hey, I want you to do the experiment for me, not go to the trouble myself - LOL
We found some square crockery she had stashed away that will fit in the stove. No tops, we will have to use foil for lids. My wife bought the beef yesterday ! LOL

I baked a couple of sweet potatoes in the P61a today. Came out perfect and sticky sweet! Made a nice base for a nice healthy desert;

Sweet%20potatoes%20cooked%20in%20P61a_zpssquxw7aq.jpg

Sweet%20Potato%20Desert%20with%20Yogurt_zpswjhiuset.jpg

I baked a couple of sweet potatoes in the P61a today. Came out perfect and sticky sweet! Made a nice base for a nice healthy desert;

Sweet%20potatoes%20cooked%20in%20P61a_zpssquxw7aq.jpg

Sweet%20Potato%20Desert%20with%20Yogurt_zpswjhiuset.jpg
Good job !!

Funny, the meat my wife bought was a brisket for Corned Beef and cabbage dinner. Not for the stove experiment. So that's gone on hold.

Last edited:
supper.jpg supper m.jpg In the P61, let you know how it turns out.. Oh the funky flame is because I shot the photo with the door open.

Edit: It's done, cooked in 1 hr 10 min. Yummy, next time use a little thickening in the broth.

Cooked 1.jpg cooked 2.jpg cooked 3.jpg cooked 4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
In the P61, let you know how it turns out.. Oh the funky flame is because I shot the photo with the door open.

Edit: It's done, cooked in 1 hr 10 min. Yummy, next time use a little thickening in the broth.

Looks great - now I'm hungry!

Status
Not open for further replies.