Cooking on the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
So, all I can think of to do is soup, and actually was only going to keep it warm on the stove, after cooking it in the kitchen where it is convenient. Do I put it directly onto the wood stove, without a trivet, or anything? Am I going to scratch up the Oslo's blue-black enamel? Center or corner? (we didn't buy the cooking oval thing).

What else do you cook on or in your stoves?

anything you wan't just remember grease splatters not fun to clean

Its going to be a challenge to cook on your stove without the cooktop piece. Cooking directly on the enamel will work but you run the risk of damaging the enamel with your pots and pans. You can cook darn near anything on or in a wood stove

Reactions: CenterTree
Cooking on the wood stove may be just more of a novelty than a "day-to-day" activity.

If ya loose power and your cook stove is electric, then OK, use the wood stove. I think the mess and lack of complete control of temperature is not worth the hassle.

We have a propane cook stove, so we don't have a "real need" to use the wood stove for burgers (or much else). Again, novelty. YMMV.

We make popcorn on the 30NC though.:) For the kids.;)

Dutch oven. Stews, roasts, meatloaf. ..
Skillet steaks from inside it (very good, quick!).
No great advantages, more of a challenge than anything else but was nice to have the know how when the cooking gas ran out the other week on the middle of cooking a meat loaf in the oven.

I was forced to cook lunch on the nc30 today when the power went out for a few hours. Just some pizza in some foil but worked well.

Before we had our KQ wood cook stove we would make oatmeal and toast (directly on top) for breakfast. The time to cook for us was when we were stoking it up in the morning.
Knew a lady once who's Dad slapped a couple pieces of bread on the side of his stove, when they fell off the toast was done (hope he had a plate under them).

Thanks for these ideas, my peeps. I put some soup on a saucepan and used a trivet last night, but it didn't really heat it well. I think I have to put it directly on the stove, but I was too worried to have it boil over and make a mess, and I couldn't supervise it continuously at the time. Am going to check out dutch ovens.

Watchguy, what is that in your avatar?

My son loves quesadillas - I put a cookie sheet on top of the stove, build the quesadilla on the cookie sheet, then I place my hot tea pot on top of it to both heat it up from the top and to compress it down so the cheese is evenly distributed. It takes less than 5 minutes to make. It does a great job on beans and rice as well - prepare pot as you normally would adding 15% to 20% more water than you would for conventional cooking then let stand on the woodstove for 5-6 hours - always perfect.

I cooked a chicken on top of the stove recently just to try it out and it turned out to be pretty good. I make baked potatoes inside the stove all the time.

005.JPG

Just cooked a roast on the stove the other night actually. The wife was busy doing her Christmas baking so I needed something for the roast. Tossed it in a regular roast pa and popped it on top of a massive pile of coals for exactly 10 minutes which seared the outside perfectly. Then put in inside a Dutch oven and put it on top of a trivet on the stove. Then reloaded the stove, which quickly got the stovetop to 650. Cooked the roast to a perfect medium rare within two hours tops. It was a cheap lousy cut of roast but he turned out very well, going to try again with a better cut, and sear for only 5 minutes. Also will wait for the stove top to get closer to 500 degrees I think to slow the cooking time.

Ian

Before we had our KQ wood cook stove we would make oatmeal and toast (directly on top) for breakfast. The time to cook for us was when we were stoking it up in the morning.
Knew a lady once who's Dad slapped a couple pieces of bread on the side of his stove, when they fell off the toast was done (hope he had a plate under them).
:)You are concerned whether that guy had a plate under his toast as it fell off, when you cook oatmeal directly on the stove top!?;lol:p;lol

No great advantages, more of a challenge than anything else but was nice to have the know how when the cooking gas ran out the other week on the middle of cooking a meat loaf in the oven.
When I had a wood stove I used to keep a perpetual venison stew in an iron dutch oven going all winter.

We installed our Kitchen Queen 480 this year and we LOVE it. It is soooo easy to use, I can't express it. We cook all of our meals with it and they all turn out wonderful. Pizza cooks in about 2.5 minutes and cookies take about 6-10 minutes. Pancakes poof more and everything tastes better. The pizza crust got dark because my wife oiled it, but it was not burned.

kq4.jpg kq pizza.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on doing a whole chicken on my wood stove. I will use a Dutch oven, should I still use a trivet?

anything you wan't just remember grease splatters not fun to clean

Throw some aluminum foil down and call it mess proof. I have never done it really, but certainly will if the power is out!

I think breakfast is nice. The smells in the morning prepare me for the day ahead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 427
I was nice and split it with the wife even though she was in a bad mood

• Haha
Reactions: Love the Heat
Thanks Diabel, I'm no Rachel ray but I can make a few things pretty well

Reactions: Minnesota Marty

What WiNH said- until the power goes out. Some places locally had their power out for two weeks. A trivet or a Dutch oven with legs will give you cooler temperatures for Bread, rolls, and things like that. The cookware is 12 inch in diameter, and this photo is for display purposes only.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited: