Cooking with a camp dutch oven on top of a free-standing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
It's been a while since I've posted on here and my belly has me wondering...
I have a Jotul F600 Firelight CB stove and several Lodge cast iron camp dutch ovens (with the legs)...
Can I cook with the Dutch oven on top of the stove? I know the top of the stove normally stays around 400 degrees at cruise temp, but I don't know if it would be hot enough around the sides and top (and therefore inside) of the Dutch oven to cook? I was thinking about using the Dutch oven for baking and cooking whole chickens, stews, etc... low and slow, "crock pot" style cooking...

I keep a 3 qt Le Cruset enameled dutch oven on top of my F600 for a steamer pot. It boils the water at about 550 stovetop. I could cook in it easily, but it has no legs unlike the dutch oven you are talking about.

It's been a while since I've posted on here and my belly has me wondering...
I have a Jotul F600 Firelight CB stove and several Lodge cast iron camp dutch ovens (with the legs)...
Can I cook with the Dutch oven on top of the stove? I know the top of the stove normally stays around 400 degrees at cruise temp, but I don't know if it would be hot enough around the sides and top (and therefore inside) of the Dutch oven to cook? I was thinking about using the Dutch oven for baking and cooking whole chickens, stews, etc... low and slow, "crock pot" style cooking...

We have a freestanding smoke dragon in the basement and we use our Lodge cast iron Dutch ovens all the time! Ours do not have legs, but we do need to keep them on stacks of metal washers to avoid burning whatever is in the pot. So I think you should give it a try. I've learned that just about anything you can do in a crock pot, you can do on the wood stove. In the past week, I've made pesto chicken, pork roast, chili, and enchiladas on the wood stove. I also cooked potatoes and squash in the wood stove on coals kept away from the fire. I LOVE not having to turn the oven on!

I've cooked with a leg less Dutch oven on my Century. No problem! We did most of our thanksgiving dinner that way 1 year.

We have a freestanding smoke dragon in the basement and we use our Lodge cast iron Dutch ovens all the time! Ours do not have legs, but we do need to keep them on stacks of metal washers to avoid burning whatever is in the pot. So I think you should give it a try. I've learned that just about anything you can do in a crock pot, you can do on the wood stove. In the past week, I've made pesto chicken, pork roast, chili, and enchiladas on the wood stove. I also cooked potatoes and squash in the wood stove on coals kept away from the fire. I LOVE not having to turn the oven on!
I'm getting hungry just reading your post. bon appétit

Status
Not open for further replies.