Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
Ok, I know I have seen it posted where folks have done some cooking on their wood stoves. What do you guys cook and how? I warm up just about every side item (corn, beans, green) on the stove and use it to keep the rolls warm as well.. We grill about every meal we eat at home-- just our taste.. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking earlier how I could do baked potatoes but haven't got anywhere. What do you think???

Jason

I just cooked some scalloped potatoes in my cook stove tester day for dinner:)
have made rice crispys treats, hot dogs baked beans, tea water, etc. Last year I kept the cristmas turkey warm while we opened presents in the oven section.

I cook a lot on mine. Beans are great and stews and soups are a favourite of mine. You can bake potatoes in a dutch oven on top of the stove as long as they are elevated in the DO. Set them on an iron trivett, for example. Just so they aren't setting directly on the floor of the DO and so right on the surface of the stove.

I don't fry too much on the wood stove just because I don't like the look of the spattered oil (which takes a while to burn off), but I'm doing the hog's share of the cooking on the wood stove that I normally do on the electric stove.

I'm considering baking bread inside the wood stove in the morning when there is still a coal bed but before firing it up for the day. Just have to get the dough ready in time and I don't feel like getting up so early these days. ;-)

Poult

Just wondering, providing that your stove is running at a lower temp, is it safe to put a cassarole dish on your stove top? I mean, it is 100% oven safe....couldn't I just try it? :)

I bought a cast iron dutch oven just for cooking on the wood stove. I have done chili and spagetti sause so far but I think my favorite will be venison stew on Saturday afternoons in the winter.

I have a complete suite of cast iron cookware, griddle, dutch oven, frying pans, I cook it all. I set the cast iron on a trivet that is about 1/4" thick and nothing burns. I can cook a whole chicken simmering in liquid in about three hours. And the griddle flips over to a grill, so I get the good searing marks on my steaks. I could go on and on, plus I heat all my dishwater on the stove as well, I need more surface area!!

Stove is on, why not use it for everything...I am in heaven for six months a year

OK... this thread is in serious need of some links...

Who's got linkage to some good quality cookware for the wood stove?

-Sf

I have a 1909 Glenwood C cookstove in my kitchen. It runs from Oct too May up here in Maine and cooks every meal we have. I assumed you meant heater stoves and not cookstoves of course but just thought I'd pipe in. I love the taste of food cooked on/in the woodstove. It's perfect for low and slow stuff like pasta sauces and baked beans, etc.. In mine when baking, you just have too spin the bread or whatever 180 degrees at half time due too the left side of the over being hotter then the right. Have fun!

Links are good! I started reading this thread and was confused if posters were talking about cooking 'on top' of a free standing wood stove or cooking 'inside' of a wood stove. I guess I don't know how people are distinguishing between a kitchen type of wood stove or a freestanding wood stove used for heating the home.

Shari

Shari said:
Links are good! I started reading this thread and was confused if posters were talking about cooking 'on top' of a free standing wood stove or cooking 'inside' of a wood stove. I guess I don't know how people are distinguishing between a kitchen type of wood stove or a freestanding wood stove used for heating the home.

Shari

You can cook in, on, or in front of a non-kitchen type woodstove or fireplace.
This can be done in front of a woodstove also- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dSxB6RgiFs

The last time I was in Tractor Supply they had a very large selection of assorted, quality cast iron cookware.

Brackley said:
I have a complete suite of cast iron cookware, griddle, dutch oven, frying pans, I cook it all. I set the cast iron on a trivet that is about 1/4" thick and nothing burns. I can cook a whole chicken simmering in liquid in about three hours. And the griddle flips over to a grill, so I get the good searing marks on my steaks. I could go on and on, plus I heat all my dishwater on the stove as well, I need more surface area!!

Stove is on, why not use it for everything...I am in heaven for six months a year

Brackley, what kind of stove are you using?

I have cooked many things in and on my stove, especially when my oven stopped working (well, it worked, but a mouse had gotten into the insulation.. yuk
take out, anyone??). However, my favorite thing to 'cook' is just warming up that second cup of coffee in the morning.

kenny chaos said:
Shari said:

Shari

You can cook in, on, or in front of a non-kitchen type woodstove or fireplace.
This can be done in front of a woodstove also- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dSxB6RgiFs

The last time I was in Tractor Supply they had a very large selection of assorted, quality cast iron cookware.

I've not been able to get the top of my CFM steel box stove hot enough to anything more than melt butter, so I'm skeptical of this claim when it applies to plate steel stoves, though I'm sure some are better than others for cooking.

I see people mentioning mostly cast iron. I do have a few cast iron pans, but no dutch oven. I presume that a Calphalon (anodized aluminum) pan that is range and oven safe can be used on the stove top, right?

chutes said:
I see people mentioning mostly cast iron. I do have a few cast iron pans, but no dutch oven. I presume that a Calphalon (anodized aluminum) pan that is range and oven safe can be used on the stove top, right?

Yes. I use aluminum and my favorite is a stainless steel frying pan with a copper bottom that my mommy used to use and mommy only had the best.

[quoteI've not been able to get the top of my CFM steel box stove hot enough to anything more than melt butter, so I'm skeptical of this claim when it applies to plate steel stoves, though I'm sure some are better than others for cooking.[/quote]

That's why sometimes you cook on it, in it, or in front of it. Never underneath it though.
Do a search for wood stove cooking and you'll get all kinds of great ideas.

You can use cast iron, copper, enamelware, porcelain coated steel and yes aluminum but I don't like to cook foods in aluminum with the exception of the ovens myself.

I would say the most versatile cooking utensils would be a dutch oven and a coffee pot.
I like the Percolators myself but be sure to take the grounds basket out of it when its ready or it will get too strong.

It's not wise to cook things uncovered simply because of splattering etc. You can cook so many things in a dutch oven, like roasts, chicken soups, stews and you can even bake in a dutch oven. Just make sure you have something in the bottom of it to form a rack so the dough won't stick to the hot bottom and keep the lid on tight if your baking. I use one with small legs on it to keep it off the surface of the stove so things won't stick to the bottom like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-4...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1227557807&sr=1-5

They actually make small ovens to bake with over camp fires that you can use on top of your wood burner. Here's an example of one of many that are offered:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5010D700T-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

kenny chaos said:
[quoteI've not been able to get the top of my CFM steel box stove hot enough to anything more than melt butter, so I'm skeptical of this claim when it applies to plate steel stoves, though I'm sure some are better than others for cooking.

That's why sometimes you cook on it, in it, or in front of it. Never underneath it though.
Do a search for wood stove cooking and you'll get all kinds of great ideas.[/quote]

Clever. You can't cook on top of this one.

Shari said:
Links are good!
Shari

Perfect links: venison/apple/pork sausage slowly browned in a frying pan with bacon grease. Add one inch of water and let them cook for an hour or so. Sheer delight, right off the woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.