Cooktop qustions, preventing scratching?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Peterson

Sep 23, 2012
Hey all,

We picked up a cooktop/insert Lennox wood stove earlier this year. We absolutely love it. We want to start cooking soup on top of it, but, we had some questions.

We understand that putting pots on will scratch up the black finish. Is there some kind of fireproof mat or elevated grill that we could put between the pot and the stove? If it were a mat, that would be easy. If it were an elevated rack, something like this: http://fantes.com/images/97455.jpg, that would help so the stove keeps the soup warm while keeping the pot off the stove. Is that a good idea?

I tried looking around elsewhere, but I couldn't find much. Everything I found just said "scratch it up and repaint it in the spring" I figured if any folks would know, it must people on this forum.

You Mean Like this?...

AC02600_box.jpg
One side is flat, one side is 'griddled'. Cast iron. Delivered to your door for $100 http://myfireplaceproducts.com/Catalog.aspx Part #AC02600

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Whoa, that almost works. I didn't think about a griddle. Good to know it can be done.

Problem for us, we have limited room, so we had to go with an insert rather than a stove. Half of the unit is in the chimney, the other half out front. So I've only got 9 inches depth to cook on. I suppose if I can find some 9 inch wide griddle, that could work.

This is what we use under the pots and pans. They have double or triple use! We use them for cooking. For drying gloves and boots. I also take a pair to the woods with me inside an extra pair of gloves. Feels great when the hands get cold and/or wet. Put on a pair of nice warm gloves then feels great!

Boot warmers.jpg

Huh, this seems near perfect for us. Mostly because it's $10. :)

This is what we use under the pots and pans. They have double or triple use! We use them for cooking. For drying gloves and boots. I also take a pair to the woods with me inside an extra pair of gloves. Feels great when the hands get cold and/or wet. Put on a pair of nice warm gloves then feels great!

View attachment 75038

Huh, these are cheap as well. :) I've never seen these before. Do they get hot enough to boil water in pans placed on them? And how long do they take to cool off?

Brad, we've never boiled water but do lots and lots of cooking. That is, most every day in winter something is on the stove.

How long before they cool off certainly will be dependent upon where they are. Put them on the cold sidewalk and I doubt they will hold heat long. Go cutting wood for 2-3 or more hours and they will still be too hot to handle. Put them inside a wet pair of boots and I don't know. We just leave them overnight. Same with wet gloves, but most times with the gloves we just lay them directly under the stove and they dry very well and quite fast.

I should have added that as a little boy I remember using the old soapstone a lot. We used it in the car, on the floor to keep the feet warm. Used it for a foot warmer in the bed, etc. Wonderful things they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.