Cool down stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosecond

Nov 28, 2010
Southern Ohio
I have a Defiant non cat that is too hot (almost 800). How can I cool it down? The damper is closed as is the air. still over 700 and would like to cool it down.

Don't think 800 is too far out there. If your talking about a flue damper that's closed, open it up and let some heat out. Not sure about the Defiant, but owners of tube reburn stoves have success with opening the door and sending excess heat up the flue. I wouldn't do that unless I knew the flue was pretty clean.
If it's not getting hotter, open a window and ride it out.

jeff_t said:
Don't think 800 is too far out there. If your talking about a flue damper that's closed, open it up and let some heat out. Not sure about the Defiant, but owners of tube reburn stoves have success with opening the door and sending excess heat up the flue. I wouldn't do that unless I knew the flue was pretty clean.

All VC stoves have a stove damper. It either engages the cat or the everburn (non-cat). Opening the damper and the doors should cool things off a bit. With colder weather finally arriving I have noticed my draft has gotten strong (not like it was previously weak) which means I need to adjust me air controls differently.

BrowningBAR said:
jeff_t said:

All VC stoves have a stove damper. It either engages the cat or the everburn (non-cat). Opening the damper and the doors should cool things off a bit. With colder weather finally arriving I have noticed my draft has gotten strong (not like it was previously weak) which means I need to adjust me air controls differently.

So, is 800 too hot? Or just making the room uncomfortable?

My BIL has an old Defiant in his workshop, but half the stuff is missing and the doors are seriously warped from more than one overfire. Really the only one I've actually seen up close.

Just a nervous newbie here. Second day burning. I installed a 40' flex liner and was told I would have strong draft. I think it may be too strong. When I close the damper the stove makes a lot of noise with the heat going up the chimney. Roaring sound. I have a damper I could put in the stove pipe to help. Is this a good idea?

Part of my problem is I have two of the magnetic thermometers and a cheap IR I bought at Lowe's. The magnetic say the griddle temp is 850 but if I scan with the IR it says anywhere from 550 to 625. The IR is limited at the 625. I need one that goes higher but don't think the temp is a lot higher than 625. What is a good way to test my IR thermometer?

It is 77 in the house now. Too hot. I hate to open a window and loose the heat. I tried openning the damper but the stove just takes off and the temp shoots up and really starts the roaring sound.

Is it possible to have too much draft?

A new liner id doubt youd go lighting something off. Opening the doors makes the stove similar to a fireplace which throws heat up and out.
Your magnetic thermos could be off but i understand the concern.

40' you say, depending on bends, and other surrounding terrain, you are a canidate for a key dampner. Some here have them and like them in more normal chimney configurations.

Good luck.

Prosecond said:
Just a nervous newbie here. Second day burning. I installed a 40' flex liner and was told I would have strong draft. I think it may be too strong. When I close the damper the stove makes a lot of noise with the heat going up the chimney. Roaring sound. I have a damper I could put in the stove pipe to help. Is this a good idea?

Part of my problem is I have two of the magnetic thermometers and a cheap IR I bought at Lowe's. The magnetic say the griddle temp is 850 but if I scan with the IR it says anywhere from 550 to 625. The IR is limited at the 625. I need one that goes higher but don't think the temp is a lot higher than 625. What is a good way to test my IR thermometer?

It is 77 in the house now. Too hot. I hate to open a window and loose the heat. I tried openning the damper but the stove just takes off and the temp shoots up and really starts the roaring sound.

Is it possible to have too much draft?

The roaring sound you are hearing may be the flame traveling through the baffles at the back of the stove (is this an old Defiant?). When you close the damper it forces the flame down through the secondary burn chamber and through a series of baffles on the back of the stove. This is a normal sound when you first close the damper on the stove and will continue if the flames are roaring in the firebox. If the roaring continues, then you could suspect too strong of a draft. The middle griddle is going to read the highest temps on the stove top. What is the temperature at the corners off of the griddle plate? I am assuming the cast temperatures will be lower than the griddle.

40' of liner is quite a run (I have approximately 34' of SS liner). You may have to consider a flue damper.

Good luck.

Jeff, open the draft a little bit. Some say open the firebox door but with an 800 degree stove this is a bit uncomfortable. So open the draft some as this will allow some cooler air into the firebox and also send a bit more air up the chimney. The end result should be the stove cooling down some. It should drop 50 degrees fairly quick and perhaps to 100 degrees but I would not expect much more of a drop than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.