Cool morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsquini

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2009
North Shore, MA
the past few mornings the temp has been around 60*. Starting to get the urge to burn.
I cleaned the stove from last winter and check the moisture level of this years wood. Only a few more thing I need to burning.

Gettin' close, usually by late October my stove gets going here. Over 3" rain here the last few days, needs to dry a little before I get to cutting. I have a few standing dead ash and cherry that will come down when I get some room in the stacks

Started a fire last night in the stove after a day of rain and upper 50s for a high. Went teal/early goose hunting and got soaked and came home to open windows I forgot to close. Temp in the house was 60! Sure was nice to have a fire going again!

Reactions: BigCountryNY
Been burning the last week or so . 1 or 2 loads a day in my '' Mama Bear " . I love it. Mid 40 ' s here for low's already , but supposed to warm up.

Where suppose to have a couple of upper 40 deg nights coming up, while its still to warm to burn, it is a reminder that the season is going to come in sooner than later.

I did a test fire last night or at least that's what I'm calling it. The outside temperature was 51 degrees at the time and in the house it was about 73 degrees. I could have done without the fire even though I knew today would be lucky if it broke 60. But, tonight, rather than wait until the temperatures dipped into the mid 40's I fired up the stove again, but this time a fair sized fire made with shorts and uglies. I just couldn't fight the urge to light it up. I tested several splits from the regular pile (resplit) for the moisture content with readings as low as 12 .4 and as high as 14.2% on 3 year seasoned black birch and white oak.I think I'm all set for the upcoming season!

There's just something about watching a fire through the window in the stove that relaxes. It's too bad it might be several more weeks before it might be cold enough to light another fire in the stove.

Last edited:
We will be in the forties by morning. After setting a record for 95 degree days. But the heat is coming back next week. And I haven't even cleaned the pipe or the stove yet. Once again I start the trek trying to hold off until Thanksgiving. Never made it but I try every year.

Feels like the weather is starting to turn . . . guess it's time to get the stove and chimney ready for the season.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Up nice and early today, got down to 49 deg, inside the house it's 68 deg, after our long heat wave this feels nice, suppose to be mid 70's today and 47 tonight, this is short lived though, 80's by the end of the week

We will be in the forties by morning. After setting a record for 95 degree days. But the heat is coming back next week. And I haven't even cleaned the pipe or the stove yet. Once again I start the trek trying to hold off until Thanksgiving. Never made it but I try every year.
We got 14" of snow the day before thanksgiving last year, it was *fun, lol I worked for 5 days, 18hrs a day to help restore power back to my area

Yesterday's high here was low 70s. By 4PM it was cooling off quite a bit. Had the first break-in fire in the 30NC for a couple hours. I only took the top to 225 F while the paint was curing, burning some 2x4 scraps. We were at 52 here this morning. Going to be about the same today, so I'll probably have break-in burn #2 tonight. Supposed to warm up tomorrow again through the rest of the week.

We got 14" of snow the day before thanksgiving last year, it was *fun, lol I worked for 5 days, 18hrs a day to help restore power back to my area
Kennyp2339 I assume you work as a lineman? I don't want to hijack thread . Send me a message or a way we can talk. I'm not sure how to do that.

I put on pants every day of the year.

I put on pants every day of the year.
You must have white legs..... all joking aside I enjoy pants much more than shorts for work although I cant stand the heat in the summer so relish the time when I can wear pants again and not sweat so much. Fire is going again.... burning some fir. Tomorrow I will wear pants unless I get to hot in front of the stove.

the past few mornings the temp has been around 60*. Starting to get the urge to burn.
I cleaned the stove from last winter and check the moisture level of this years wood. Only a few more thing I need to burning.

I was just getting the same feeling tonight. low 50s out, house dipped to 68 for the first time without A/C assistance. Chimney sweep and furnace tune up coming this week. Wood looks dry...itchin.....

You must have white legs..... all joking aside I enjoy pants much more than shorts for work although I cant stand the heat in the summer so relish the time when I can wear pants again and not sweat so much. Fire is going again.... burning some fir. Tomorrow I will wear pants unless I get to hot in front of the stove.
Yep. Legs are definitely pale but my skin can't take the sun. I also wear long sleeved shirts the year around.

Reactions: Seanm
Wow, all this burning activity.... isn't it too early?
I am itching to burn, but Sept 15th!!! Way too early.

Btw beautiful 86 here today.

Reactions: VAfarmer38
I started processing wood this weekend. Between Fri-Sat the wife and I did 3.5 cords of wood. While we've have a couple cool nights, we can bake now that it's cooling off outside. That keeps the house warm all day. Once it drops to the point of heating, I will be burning LP so I can call the company and tell them to take their tank (25 gallons left to use). Otherwise, we have to pay to have them pump out and pay for removal.

We've dipped down into the 40's the past two nights and looks like it may get there again tonight. Daytime temp still getting to 80 and tomorrow looks even warmer. Trying hard to wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.