Cool Mustang conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Went to a green even at NOAA yesterday.. this mustang was bad ass to say the least!

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 329
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 337
Is that thing a plug in electric? Hmmm...wonder what the performance and drive time are like, using deep cycle batteries.

It is a plug in, the way its setup now it is geared for performance similar to the orginal setup. They stated they could make it as fast as they wanted with the high torque electric motor, or go long distance (up to 120 miles per charge). Current set up gets them 50 miles on a 9 hour charge.

My wonder is what's the life on batteries like that? I've yet to see a battery that doesn't degrade in life over time. That thing is still cool as heck.

That is really slick! What a nice job of restoration and conversion.

Lead acid batteries are not the future, though I can understand why they used them here. The good news is that battery technology is progressing and will continue to progress. Prius's in commercial service are getting some impressive life out of their batteries. However, we need to think of better economic models. What if the battery containing box was standardized and you didn't own the batteries? Time we changed the system. We can do better.

Check this out:
http://www.betterplace.com/press-room/videos-detail/shai-agassi-at-ted-2009/
http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-plan/

this company made some device that doubled the expected life of the batteries. When i get back to work i will grab the card and look it up. I wasnt really paying attention to that part of it. I will post a photo of the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.