Cool secondary burn vids on other thread...but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
So, how long does a "floating" gasification burn last for you?

If I get a hot fire going, and stop it way down, the primary flames are gone in a few minutes, and I get the eerie hovering Spectoral Effect. It's cool (or hot), but I've never been able to make it last over an hour. It diminishes, then does the intermittent flare thing, and then it's gone. (But the hot coals last a long, long time.) If I add air, the secondary will last a little longer, but they share the stage with some primary flame.

How long can others get that non-cat secondary floating flame to last?

Regards,

Ah, the "floating" secondary burn. The holy grail of hearth.com noncat woodburners. Not until you're able to get your stove to do it will you earn the title of Pyromaniac Extraordinaire, that most exclusive of cliques.

It may be cool to look at and it may give the slowest burn rate, but it's also cool burning, and doesn't necessarily represent the most efficient mode of operating a stove - most of the air supplied bypasses the flame and goes right up the chimney. I wouldn't count on it being a clean burn without looking at your chimney exhaust over the whole burn cycle.

I usually do add that bit of extra primary, and "yellow up" the fire just a bit. It burns cleaner, and doesn't seem to hurt the longevity of hot coals in the morning much, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.