Cool story on solar cell efficiency gains to be had

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, this wil drive down the cost of the 180-200 watt panels...just too expensive unless you are getting gig loads of rebates/incentives.

Moved to the green room so that it doesn't get dumped with the ashes. MIT Labs has been doing some awesome research into increasing efficiencies of existing solar cell technology. Thanks for the post TM.

Interesting reading...although I'm curious about the 'meat' of the article. First, it's just a computer simulation of an effect, not an actual test. We can only hope the simulation is accurate and they aren't falling into the GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) trap. Secondly, they are talking about "50% more efficient" which is a lot different than "50% efficient" Interesting how one little word can make all the difference, but I read "50% more" as going from 10% to 15% overall efficiency.

i keep reading about more and more efficent PV's that will be out, but when? i read about MIT about 6 mos ago and other films, new coating to enhance the suns ray for more elec output in the PV's.

when will it happen!

The most promising thing I've heard lately is a new process from Nanosolar. IIRC, it isn't any more efficient, but much cheaper to make. They are talking about $1 a watt compared to $4 a watt with current technology. As long as you have the surface area, efficiency doesn't really matter.

http://www.nanosolar.com/index.html

It's in production right now. Anyone want to set up a buyer's club?

Chris

I've been hearing stories of cheap solar coming out since Sputnik was first sent up. I don't believe it. Even if someone finds a way to make the panels "up to" 50 % more efficient, that doesn't mean very much - especially in some parts of the country where the sun angle doesn't vary so much from winter to summer.

If you were to install solar now - and have a contractor do the work, the actual cost of the solar panels themselves might be 1/3 to 1/4 the total bill, that's all. You've got the overpriced labor involved, and also the overpriced electronics - i.e. and e.g., the inverters, stepup transformers, controllers, racks, possibly batteries, etc. If you are using a state incentive program, you will probably be forced to pay an overpriced, and sometimes inexperienced contractor to do the work - even if you are just as able and more qualified. One exception that I know of is New Jersey that will pay incentive money for "self install."

Also, the prices for solar panels have always been higher in Europe, and subsequently, much of the production is sold overseas to command better prices and profit. There is competition for the panels, and I don't find the story of $1 per watt panels to be viable. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

For me, the payback is partially from the bit of security I get knowing I can make my own power whever I want (as long as the sun is shining, wind is blowing, or for t2-3 days with neither on batteries). And, even THAT is NOT true for most grid-tie installations. Due to regs. most installations are NOT allowed to make power if the grid is out - which is just plain silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.