I got the stove a little too warm today and I could smell fumes coming off the pipe. I made the mistake of putting several smaller splits on a very hot coal bed. I put a large log in to slow the secondaries some and it appears to have worked. The only advantage to this is that there is less creosote build-up if any in my pipe than there was before. It always makes me a little nervous when I get fires this hot. I guess I forgot what I learned from past mistakes. Those splits were vaporized in less than an hour at which time I added a 2nd large log. There were plenty of coals to handle a larger log. I really need to install a damper on the pipe. My stack is 24 feet which drafts pretty well and can help things runaway on me when I'm careless.