cooling System??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

May 14, 2008
central Ontario Canada
This might be a little out there but was wondering if is possible(or practical) to run some pex under ground on a separate loop that could be joined into the boiler piping to cool the house during the summer months? Then turn a flow control that would allow the heating system to operate if I wanted to charge up a hot water storage system for DHW or back to heating the house in the fall. Since all the circulating pumps and in house plumbing would already be in place it cold prevent having to spend electricity using an air conditioning unit? maybe?
I am planning on building a shed for my furnace but wonder if I should trench in some piping underneath before I build? How many linear feet would it take to cool 2500sq ft?

I think the limiting factor is the amount of indoor heat exchanger surface area that you'd need to cool a house with the relatively small temperature difference that you'd get from such a system.

A ground source heat pump accomplishes a bigger temperature differential at the cost of a bit of electricity.

TCaldwell said:
what about condensation on hydronic system?

That too. Getting your boiler below dewpoint would be bad, and having water dripping from you baseboards wouldn't be so good. It might be that convection through cold baseboards would be so ineffective that condensation wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, we had 95 degrees and 95% relative humidity yesterday. I had huge condensation puddles on my garage floor because the slab was below dewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.