cooling with fisher stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlsapp

Feb 12, 2011
va
does anyone know how to cool with a fisher stove it was mentioned in a couple of articles but no details on how to do it

I ran a fisher but I only ever heated with mine. I really don't know what you are asking.

I have an ice cream maker that see's little use that I'd sell cheap if you were interested.

Do you have a link to these articles you reference? That would help.

pen

It was prolly someone saying the Fisher Stove is cool. ;-)

Remove it from your home and send it to me. That will cool you down. :coolsmile:

It's a copy and paste world of incorrect information out there about Fisher Stoves. That's one of the reasons I started the Everything Fisher thread.

I saw the article too, it's a typo. They meant "used for cooking", not cooling. Post a link if you can find it again. There's a lot in that article that needs correcting.

You can actually start a draw in a chimney with a little kindling, and let the door open with the fire out. The chimney continues to draft and creates a suction in the house, pulling outside air into the home. So on a hot day, this is like an exhaust fan up your chimney of sorts.

You'll find "doors were cast-iron with model names such as 'Papa Bear', 'Mama Bear', 'Grandpa Bear', and 'Baby Bear' imprinted on them..... (popular.ebay.com) to "if you own a Fisher, it should be replaced, don't use it" nonsense.
And how about discouraging people from buying a Fisher due to "parts are hard to find". It's 1/4" Steel Plate. Got welder?? The only part you may need is a draft cap. They are available new, even cast with brass or bronze ! The other part you may need is a new door if you shoot it with armor piercing bullets.

There's a few pages on the net that claim you can tell the newer stoves "because they have glass doors"! (No, they were later available with black cast iron, plated brass or nickel, or brass and glass)
And........ one even states "Grandpa Bear: This was part of the Fireplace series designed after Bob passed away." Better tell Bob and Carol that one. (It was after he was no longer President)

To prove my point, search Bob Fisher started making Fisher wood burning stoves in Oregano :bug:

1950 Google results! The article is so poorly written, I can't even link it here. I get a Error - Black Listed on this website that won't allow the link to be posted. Literary garbage.

I have never really believed it would work but the Buck 26000 manual says to put frozen milk jugs of water in the stove in the summer and run the fan manually. :coolsmirk:

tfdchief said:
I have never really believed it would work but the Buck 26000 manual says to put frozen milk jugs of water in the stove in the summer and run the fan manually. :coolsmirk:

Wow, they must have tried that where the air is hot and dry! The condensation on that stove with the fan moving our warm moist air over it in the summer would require a drip pan under it, and just replace the rust chunk by winter.
My stove collection is in my basement (due to floor weight) where I have to keep a dehumidifier running all summer to prevent all the cooler metal from condensating. I'm debating running a pex tubing water line from each stove, coiled inside them in a loop, then outside to a coil of black deep well pipe to solar heat the water. A relief valve and expansion tank would be necessary, but the cost to run a small circulator would be far cheaper than the dehumidifier. I only need enough to warm them beyond the dew point without adding too much unneeded heat to the house. My idea is so during the winter, I could disconnect and drain the solar coil, connect the heating loop to a New Yorker wood and coal fired boiler as a zone for downstairs heating. The radiation square inches of a dozen or more stoves should heat the already mediated basement. Just need to try to get plenty of contact of the tubing coiled inside each stove to make contact with the stove walls.
I would not suggest trying to make a condenser out of a stove unless I needed to sell lots more stoves !

Wow, they must have tried that where the air is hot and dry! The condensation on that stove with the fan moving our warm moist air over it in the summer would require a drip pan under it, and just replace the rust chunk by winter.
Coaly, Have to agree. I remember the first time I read the manual, I laughed out load. :cheese:

Found it;

The fire could also be controlled more easily. In addition, these new wood stoves could easily be used for cooling. Should have been a K for COOKING. ;-)

coaly said:
Found it;

The fire could also be controlled more easily. In addition, these new wood stoves could easily be used for cooling. Should have been a K for COOKING. ;-)

sometimes the simplest answer is the best! good job, brother coaly!

Status
Not open for further replies.