copper for dhw coil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
Does anyone know where i can get a 1/2" roll of copper to make a DHW coil for my tanks i am going to install? I would like a roll so i would have no joints to fail. Also what would be the best way to install these. My plan is to cut one end of each tank (horizantal) and install the coil that way. Of course weld it back on when done.

when you say weld your tank are you installing into pressure tank ? Like propane ?
Rob

Below is what I was referring to.... Plain copper coils are available at places like Web supply, commercial plumbing supply, HVAC, Grainger. You might have to order in longer coils. There are also different grades of copper coils so check out that too, $$$. ( I think HVAC copper is more pure than regular copper ). Also check the O.D. of the tube size. Tube size is sometimes different than pipe so you will need a slightly different sweat fitting to go on coil to adapt to 1/2 copper pipe. You might want to draw up what you plan on doing and post on forum. I think when you do a copper coil in a non pressure tank you go from top straight to bottom of tank with cold in. Then coil goes up to top of tank slowly warming water as it goes and then exits tank from the hottest portion. This way you take advantage of stratification and save the hottest water for last.
http://www.boilersupplies.com/tankheaters/burnham.html
Rob

Rob,

Yes the plan is to cut one end off two propane tanks and install a coil in both of them. Tanks will be horizontal with ends about a foot apart. Coil will go from one right into the other then off to DHW supply.

Welding propane tanks can be tricky. Many posts on subject. I would suggest, if you don't want to use coils from previous post, you consider laying copper on the top of your tanks and insulate over that. The copper will pick up the radiated heat. If you cut tank & install home made coil and weld shut, I assume your going to use compression fittings for seal, and you have a malfunction you need to cut off end of tank to service ? Unsupported copper can stress crack with vibration, copper tube is very susceptible to this. Other option would to make your own bolt on coil ?
Hopefully others will have some ideas.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.