copper lined storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smangold

Feb 17, 2008
Northeast CT hills
has anyone ever thought of soldering sheets of copper together ,to line a copper or wood tank.Enough copper for a 3x4x8 tank would be $ 600 in 3x8 or 3x10 sheets. thoughts?

smangold said:
has anyone ever thought of soldering sheets of copper together ,to line a copper or wood tank.Enough copper for a 3x4x8 tank would be $ 600 in 3x8 or 3x10 sheets. thoughts?

For $600, I think you could buy a complete used tank. My 880 gallon stainless tank was $400, and I think the going rate for used LP tanks is around $500 for a 500 gallon tank. I don't know how well a soldered lap joint would hold up to the tension load of a full tank.

If you could make rolled seams and solder better than me, you could probably make it work.

I would like to know why you would want to line the storage with copper or any heat conducting material? What is your goal in doing so? It looks expensive, have a real problem with joining the edges, and serve no advantages, educate me.

mr. nofossil , your'e right I might find a tank cheap.Things like that are hit and miss though. Why would I think of a copper liner... Well the high temp limit of the edpm makes me nervous. I have baseboard heat and feel it would be advantageous to heat storage as high as possible.I think I'm going to buy the Swizer I looked at last night anyway(with built in storage) I guess It's a moot point anyway.

I believe Polypropelene liners can withstand higher temps. Let us know if you go with the Swizer and how you like it!

Firestone is one of the manufacturers of EPDM and I talked to one of their engineers about high temps. He said it was rated for 170 or 175, I can't remember which. When I asked him if it could handle 180-190 for extended periods he said he thought so, but wouldn't guarantee it. Lots of people have had these tanks for a lot of years with no problems so I'm not worried about failure. Even if the liner needs to be replaced in 5 years it's only a couple hundred bucks, certainly cheaper than copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.