copper prices are collapsing ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat53

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2010
UP Mich
As expected, copper and other base metal prices are collapsing, along with economy I guess. If you have a project that requires a lot of copper and it can wait a few months, you will likely see much lower pipe/fitting prices. I expect to see copper below $2/lb a year from now. If you have a pile of copper/steel scrap I would unload it now. Scrap copper prices of $1/lb coming soon to a scrapyard near you !

Oil prices are likely to fall substantially too....can't happen soon enough !

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html#6months

Pat

Thanks for the heads up. I've got abot $60lbs of scrap to dump.

I was irritated in the spring when I took a few dregs in to sell for scrap that I missed the summer before when I scrapped three thousand pounds. Ticked me off that prices were so much higher than when I sold. Dragging my heels would have brought almost twice as much.

I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt it will get that low. It seems to always go down some in the winter and get higher in the spring. I hope your right I need to buy some wire.

black iron is up there too, i bought a few fittings and they were just as much as copper, went too get a pound of soldier last weekend and damn near fell on the floor $24.99 for a pound walked away

My boiler guys decided to use 1.5" copper to connect my Wood Gun and storage tank to my existing oil boiler and the copper there. It then changes to black iron to go into the manifolds for the feed and return to the zones. I thought they were crazy with the price of copper being what it is. But they said they would save so much time ($) in labor it would be worth it. When I saw them hooking up the copper I understood. Some quick cuts and good cleaning and then a compression tool. All the fittings are compressed. I had seen that done with Pex and smaller copper before but not with copper of that size. Cool. Only a few spots where they have to do any soldering for a flange, etc. Saving them many hours of cutting and threading. Looks great to.

Gasifier said:
My boiler guys decided to use 1.5" copper to connect my Wood Gun and storage tank to my existing oil boiler and the copper there. It then changes to black iron to go into the manifolds for the feed and return to the zones. I thought they were crazy with the price of copper being what it is. But they said they would save so much time ($) in labor it would be worth it. When I saw them hooking up the copper I understood. Some quick cuts and good cleaning and then a compression tool. All the fittings are compressed. I had seen that done with Pex and smaller copper before but not with copper of that size. Cool. Only a few spots where they have to do any soldering for a flange, etc. Saving them many hours of cutting and threading. Looks great to.

ProPress rules. The fittings are expensive but labor is next to nothing.

boatboy63 said:
Morgan said:
Jags said:
Hmmm...sounds like the perfect time to build my...uhhh...thingy that make ethanol...you know... ;-)

A nice little hobby to learn about. ;)
I'll drink to that. :)

If anybody asks, remember...its FUEL.

I guess that makes my truck and alcoholic then.

Status
Not open for further replies.