Cord Math made easy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
A 1/16 is .0625, next an 1/8 is .1250.

From here on out whatever the number your calculator spits out its easy to get the 1/16 figured out. Or down to an 1/8 or 1/4 cord of firewood.

Now, 1/8...again is .1250, so 3/16 would be .1875. What's happening the the first to digits .XX start at .06, from there you always as .06 to the first to digits of the unit of measurement. The last two numbers .06XX run in sequence of 25's. 25 50 75 00 (the whole number)

Ill break it down:

.0625(1/16)
.1250(1/8)
.1875(3/16)
Now round up to the whole number...
.2500 (1/4)
.3125(5/16)
.3750(3/8)
.4375(7/16)
Round up to the whole number...
.5000 (1/2)

The first two numbers always add .06, the second two always add 25...so 25 50 75 and round up to 00.

Easy as that.

You lost me at the word "math." :)

Reactions: Osage
image.jpg

An easier way is to take your wood and multiply 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 and you get a lot of wood.

I just measure to the nearest 1/4 or half cord. A 1/16th cord isn't even a one day supply! :lol

Reactions: HDRock
A beer = 12 oz
A six pack = 72 oz
A keg = 1984 oz

I might stack and measure it cords, but after that cords are kind of meaningless. I'm not buying it so making sure I got what I paid for doesn't matter. By the time It gets put in the stove it has shrunk, so do I need to remeasure the dry cords and revise? In reality I burn it by the row, they are all 14 feet long. That is my measurement. As long as I have five rows that started out at 5' high (comes out to being originally 2/3 cord each) I'll have plenty of wood for a season.

I'm just saying the number that your calculator spits out.

What's worse, was watching everyone argue in another post about it being a 1/4 of a cord or. Completely leavin out another variable.

But I'm glad to see that there are still people smarter than me.

Your volume and area have changed. Thus you don't have a cord anymore.

Me to Brother Bart: What's the meaning of life

Brother Bart: The meaning to life is, 42. ;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

I just measure to the nearest 1/4 or half cord. A 1/16th cord isn't even a one day supply! :lol

All I was explaining was the number your calculator spits out...it's really freaking easy to figure out the closest 1/4 or closest 1/8 even. Not to mention, since some people are so smart already...the rest of that may come in hand at some other time.

Love it, how's the noggin doing?

A beer = 12 oz
A six pack = 72 oz
A keg = 1984 oz

1 beer barrel = 31 gallons
1 regular barrel = 43 gallons

I only know this because I was installing some flow meters at a brewery and configuring it noticed it had both barrels and beer barrels as measuring points.

Cord Math made easy
On line cord calculator :)
Measure once, cut twice :p

Pretty cool insight into a number pattern. I've known less than a handful of people who find that easy. One guy was a frustrated meteorologist who actually found writing a schedule for 60 people fun, and more challenging with schedule requests, and everybody loved their schedule.

Another was a certified genius teaching assembly language. He was teaching us how to load registers at addresses (think this was all in hex) and then do some math. His solution was to use the *addresses* (not the contents) to do the math That saved some clock cycles. It was so obvious to him since the addresses were multiples of 16 or something. We were stunned. Even more stunning was the fact that he was stunned.

I'm not even smart enough to tell that second story correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.