Cord of wood - Definition please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TarmSolo30+Storage

Jan 26, 2008
150km N. of Toronto
I'm new here. Been lurking for a week or so, finally decided to raise my head.
When you guys refer to X cords of wood are you referring to what we call a "bush cord" ie. 4' by 4' by 8' or a "face Cord" ie. 16" by 4' by 8' In other word 3 face cords equals 1 bush cord.
It just seems when I read annual consumptions of "13 Cord" or "20 Cord" it seems HUGE if the unit of measure is a Bush Cord.
BTW, my Tarm is not yet in operation so I have no personal experience on the consumption side of things.

TarmSolo30+Storage said:
I'm new here. Been lurking for a week or so, finally decided to raise my head.
When you guys refer to X cords of wood are you referring to what we call a "bush cord" ie. 4' by 4' by 8' or a "face Cord" ie. 16" by 4' by 8' In other word 3 face cords equals 1 bush cord.
It just seems when I read annual consumptions of "13 Cord" or "20 Cord" it seems HUGE if the unit of measure is a Bush Cord.
BTW, my Tarm is not yet in operation so I have no personal experience on the consumption side of things.

Welcome to the forum and to the boiler room. A cord is 128 cubic feet - 4x4x8. Some folks burn a lot of wood. I think you'll find that most with gasifiers are burning considerably less, although some of us get carried away and keep the house in a sauna-like temperature range and heat the entire outdoors as well, using a greenhouse as a heat exchanger. Some folks are also going through learning curve issues and getting things dialed in.

I think it's fair to say that a properly configured gasifier should deliver somewhere around 50-60% of the theoretical maximum fuel value as usable heat. That works out to something like 10-15 million BTUs per cord, or about what you'd get from burning 100 gallons of fuel oil. All rough figures here, but should get you in the ballpark.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong here. The official cord measurement is 128 cubic ft of wood but there are many ways to stack it. The cord is actually measured with round log length wood. A stack of 4 ft long logs piled 4 ft high stacked in a row 8 ft long. No matter how many times you re-stack it , you may come up with a different amount of wood. If you split it, stack it and measure it you will be disapointed. I takes up much less space. So the actual measurement is quite inaccurate most of the time. I think I am right on this but, as my quote at the bottom says "I thought I made a mistake but i was wrong". So you figure that one out.

Mike

Exactly! A cord of logs, even split is a relative measurement. Cut, split and carefully stacked might be a much greater amount of wood than round and loosely stacked.

I guess it is the best measure for now. I had heard proposals for selling firewood by weight but if you don't factor in moisture content then that would be even more inaccurate. I know how I stack my wood and that helps me judge my wood consumption and will give me some measure when I get my furnace installed. It is for now the accepted standard, 128 cubic feet. Now a face cord, there is a rather nebulous measurement. Rob

nofossil said:
. . . some of us get carried away and keep the house in a sauna-like temperature range and heat the entire outdoors as well, using a greenhouse as a heat exchanger.

Maybe the reason Eric's neighbors are so happy with his gassifier is not the lack of smoke afterall! Maybe they are getting some 'second-hand heat' radiation off the greenhouse glass at night :bug:

nofossil said:
Some folks are also going through learning curve issues and getting things dialed in.

When I was young, we burned 20 Full Cord a year in an old, unisulated farmhouse with two wood stoves. And there was still frost on the inside of my bedroom window many mornings! I've graduated to a wood fired hydronic that looks like it's about 10 Full cord the first year. I suspect as I move along the learning curve (quit over-filling/starving for air, better wood, solar&storage;) I will use less.

Bush Cord?? Never heard that before. NYS weights and measures says a full cord is 128 ft3, and if you sell by the face cord you must state the length of cut on a 4' X 8' face

Jimbo

I shut down and drained the greenhouse loop before the last deep freeze, and noticed a big drop in wood consumption. Finishing the insulation on the pipe run through the (now unheated) greenhouse made a big difference as well. No surprise there.

I have a complex relationship with firewood. Notwithstanding nofossil's disapproval, I think ten cords per season is a pretty reasonable goal for my situation. I like to cut and split about twice that much over the course of a summer, but I'm not going to sell firewood and my allocated space behind the barn is all full up.

Hey, I'm here to help. You can store some at my place ;-)

Our woodlot is just south of town, Jimbo. Stop by anytime when the ground is clear I'll take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.