Cord of wood is........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blthomas

Oct 14, 2006
Culpeper, VA
I tried to do a search. Came up with lots of interesting things.

So, my Dad had me under the impression a true cord is...

(on a fullsize 8ft pickup), stacked to the roof, approx 4ft high, 4ft wide approx, and the full length of the truckbed (8ft). Possibly using the tailgate while down to increase length to help if you don't stack it up high enough. This should be around 130 cubic feet or so right?

Thanks,
Blair

Thanks. I thought I was close but wanted to be sure.

What is your truck rated for? Mine is maxed out with 1/2 cord in the back.

Even if you can fit it, you may not want to.

Matt

The numbers on the side of the door GMC trucks has 1500 2500 and 3500 is this how many pounds it can carry?

EatenByLimestone said:
What is your truck rated for? Mine is maxed out with 1/2 cord in the back.

Even if you can fit it, you may not want to.

Matt

Good question. I dunno the answer though.

She's a old Ford 4x4, has a set of helper springs. I normally tight stack maybe a split size above the rails, tailgate up.

Mainly asking, since I have no seasoned wood, there is a guy up the road that has a mountain of wood and will sell very reasonable if you load your own.

I want to buy two or three good cords and start humping and stocking for next couple years worth.

minesmoria said:
The numbers on the side of the door GMC trucks has 1500 2500 and 3500 is this how many pounds it can carry?

If I remember right a GMC 1500 is actually a half-ton, 2500 was a 3/4 ton and the 3500 was a one ton.
All assuming that the tires, springs, shocks etc. are all in decent shape. We used to joke though that the numbers were what the truck would really carry, thinking that GM built in a fudge factor, but not sure I'd want to find out the hard way.

Undoubtedly there is a bit of fudge factor. How much, I really don't know. Dodge has a pinion snubber, basicly a hunk of rubber on top of the axle. When it gets close to touching metal that should be above it I stop loading. I figure some suspension travel is desirable. ;)

The most known weight that I have carried in the bed of my Dakota has been 2000 lbs. I've carried other big loads, but I don't know the weight. It was squatting down pretty low.

If you are carrying lots of wood, maybe a uhaul isn't a bad idea? They are covered, you can beat on 'em, and then return them.

1500 is half, 2500 is 3/4, 3500 is 1 ton.

check thread 3014 "truck carry weight in pounds" for more info on load capacity
sorry not sure how to link threads with threads :red:

EatenByLimestone said:
Undoubtedly there is a bit of fudge factor. How much, I really don't know. Dodge has a pinion snubber, basicly a hunk of rubber on top of the axle. When it gets close to touching metal that should be above it I stop loading. I figure some suspension travel is desirable. ;)

The most known weight that I have carried in the bed of my Dakota has been 2000 lbs. I've carried other big loads, but I don't know the weight. It was squatting down pretty low.

If you are carrying lots of wood, maybe a uhaul isn't a bad idea? They are covered, you can beat on 'em, and then return them.

what is 1 ton in lbs.

minesmoria said:
EatenByLimestone said:

what is 1 ton in lbs.

I had 2400 lbs in the bed of my Dodge 1/2 ton (1500) the other day. Still had a little travel in the suspension but it wasn't a load that I would take over 30mph.

The smoothest ride I ever had in my 4WD 2500 3/4 ton Suburban was with 2,000 of bagged concrete mix sitting right over the rear axle.

Smooth as a Lexus.

7,200 lbs empty weight and 2,000 in the back. Found out that the brakes suck.

EatenByLimestone said:
I think most trucks ride better with weight in the back end.

A lot of things "ride" better with a little junk in the trunk. :cheese:

Alright ...... getting a little off topic.

Well here's my personal experience. I loaded my truck with cut wood. 2004 dodge ram 1500 quad cab. loaded it till it was stacked up almost even with the cab room and had the tailgate down and had some rounds on there too. Less than a mile from the woodlot to my house. That was last year. I am certain I damaged the springs. The truck has an almost imperceptible (meaning nobody else seems to notice it) lean to the right side in the back. Still drives fine. I still haul stuff. I've had lumber, concrete, just about anything you can imagine. I just try to take it a bit easier. I also know that "it's a truck".

IF I ever buuy another new truck it's gonna be a heavy duty model.

Status
Not open for further replies.