1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

cord or face cord

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by taxidermist, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    When people talk wood they usally talk about "cords" of wood when what we really mean is a facecord of wood. 4'x8'x16"most common homeowners wood stack not 4'x4'x8' So my question is for tarm and eko users what are you burning a year in face cords. I know you can just x it by 3 for a full cord but I have found when you ask if you mean face or full cord they say face cord but refer to it as a cord.

I am trying to figure out if with the wood I have on hand is enough to make it the 3 years it would take me to pay for the unit I buy.

Thank you,
    Rob

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Donl

Donl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    When someone tells me they burn a cord, I assume they mean 4' x4' X 8' or 128 cu ft. If they tell me they burn a face cord, I assume the mean 16" X 4' X 8' or 42.66 cu.ft. If they tell me they burn a cord but they mean a face cord, then I get confused!

Don
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    People with boilers and furnaces usually talk in full cords. I think everyone around here does.
  4. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    Well I have seen it both ways so thats why I have asked the question. I assume they mean a cord 4'x'4x8' when talking here but was not sure.
  5. renewablejohn

renewablejohn Member

Loc:
    bolton england
    In uk I am used to cubic metre or tonne so I presume your cord equates to approx 2 cubic metres or 2 tonnes (dependent on moisture)
  6. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Two tons is about right for a cord of semi-dry hardwood.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.