cord or face cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
When people talk wood they usally talk about "cords" of wood when what we really mean is a facecord of wood. 4'x8'x16"most common homeowners wood stack not 4'x4'x8' So my question is for tarm and eko users what are you burning a year in face cords. I know you can just x it by 3 for a full cord but I have found when you ask if you mean face or full cord they say face cord but refer to it as a cord.

I am trying to figure out if with the wood I have on hand is enough to make it the 3 years it would take me to pay for the unit I buy.

Thank you,
Rob

When someone tells me they burn a cord, I assume they mean 4' x4' X 8' or 128 cu ft. If they tell me they burn a face cord, I assume the mean 16" X 4' X 8' or 42.66 cu.ft. If they tell me they burn a cord but they mean a face cord, then I get confused!

Don

People with boilers and furnaces usually talk in full cords. I think everyone around here does.

Well I have seen it both ways so thats why I have asked the question. I assume they mean a cord 4'x'4x8' when talking here but was not sure.

Two tons is about right for a cord of semi-dry hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.