Cord Price Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
Living in the northeast, burning pine is something I don't do. I recently split a few rounds for next year just because I saw them for free on the side of the road. However, I won a bid on taking down 6 pines and the homeowner does not want the wood. I'm going to split this wood, and I'm contemplating selling it. But I haven't the foggiest idear how much would be reasonable to sell a cord or a half. $100/$50? $80/$40? Should I not be greedy and give it away in rounds?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Truthfully I don't think that you could ever sell it. As far as cordwood goes, pine has the bad rap. You might be able to find someone who will burn it for you in their outdoor fire pit if you bring it to them.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Truthfully I don't think that you could ever sell it. As far as cordwood goes, pine has the bad rap. You might be able to find someone who will burn it for you in their outdoor fire pit if you bring it to them.

I have a fire pit dedicated for some of the stuff I bring home. I have a stump and about a half a ton worth of small branches waiting for this weekend's gasoline bath. I do like yooper's idea, because I live about a mile down the road from a campground. I know I don't have something of extreme value, but it would be good for campers. It seems like a waste to torch it with a stump and some twigs. I'd probably give away the rounds, first. This is potentially a lot of wood. I wouldn't mind turning it into a few bucks.

Reactions: paul bunion
Campground firewood bundles definitely sounds like a plan. Especially with the inflated bundle prices.

That's not a bad idea, but you'll want to check if there are any special requirements for selling firewood in your area. Here in MN, you have to be a "DNR approved" firewood vendor if you're selling to campers, and you have to provide customers with a receipt. If the DNR stops by your campsite, you'll be required to provide the receipt showing that your firewood came from an approved vendor within 50 miles.

Around here it's pit wood, burn it only there if you have it, now if you want to truck it out west, you might have a better chance of selling it. If you do try to sell it make sure the person buying it knows its pine, that's all......

That's not a bad idea, but you'll want to check if there are any special requirements for selling firewood in your area. Here in MN, you have to be a "DNR approved" firewood vendor if you're selling to campers, and you have to provide customers with a receipt. If the DNR stops by your campsite, you'll be required to provide the receipt showing that your firewood came from an approved vendor within 50 miles.

Under-the-table firewood selling is rampant out here.

Reactions: KD0AXS
Under-the-table firewood selling is rampant out here.

It is here too. You don't need to be "approved" to sell firewood, only if you want campers to buy it from you. (and pay a ridiculous price for it)

Out west we love it! I was hiking in the woods today and noticed a few Lodgepole Pines that are down. They are easy to get and make good firewood. If I dont get to them as soon as the snow melts off the back roads one of my neighbors will pick it up, also no problem selling it around here. Interesting how the opinion of pine varies from coast to coast and north to south. I have to say though that many of the other pines I read about are lower btus then Lodgepole. I think selling it to campers is a great idea. It will give great heat, good to cook over and wont last all night when everyone's trying to go to bed. Id still keep it though.....

Reactions: MrWhoopee
Living in the northeast, burning pine is something I don't do. I recently split a few rounds for next year just because I saw them for free on the side of the road. However, I won a bid on taking down 6 pines and the homeowner does not want the wood. I'm going to split this wood, and I'm contemplating selling it. But I haven't the foggiest idear how much would be reasonable to sell a cord or a half. $100/$50? $80/$40? Should I not be greedy and give it away in rounds?

Any thoughts?

If the wood itself is of no value to you then simply base the price on the time it took you to make it into firewood.

1. Process it and burn in your wood stove ... great for use in the shoulder seasons when you just need a fast, hot fire to take the chill out of the house but don't want to overheat the house when temps rise ourside.

2. Process and sell as bundled wood for campers.

3. Use for kindling ... until the year 2087. :)

The fact that we are so wealthy, so powerful, and so secure with our place in history and the world that we can afford to regulate the burning of campfire wood is shocking.

It's not really the burning of campfire wood that they're regulating, it's the transportation of it. It's an effort to control the spread of pests, particularly Emerald Ash Borer.

Campground firewood bundles definitely sounds like a plan. Especially with the inflated bundle prices.

Not a pain at all! I get used bale twine from a guy who raises beef and make my bundles about 16" by 16" (usually on the heavy side) and sell them for 2.50. Every kid should have a campfire while they're camping, right? The first year, I had oak and maple slabs that were beautiful! Clean and de-barked and stacked real nice. Sales were ok. Then, no more slabs, I switched to the type of wood you wouldn't bother with...basswood. I cut some giants down and decided to try that. Wow, I couldn't keep the wood bin stocked! Put a little bark on the wood, make it look like a log (more rustic?) and the campers went nuts for it! I wonder what they thought when it burnt so fast as compared to the slabs?

It's not really the burning of campfire wood that they're regulating, it's the transportation of it. It's an effort to control the spread of pests, particularly Emerald Ash Borer.

I believe that they are also trying to protect the area from being stripped of wood (which has probably already happened). The receipt proves that the wood was not gathered.

I see it listed for about half the cost of hardwood around here, maybe $75/full cord.

I think I've seen pine listed for maybe around $140/full cord. Not sure if they were selling any at that price though.

I love burning pine as long as its in a blend. My biggest problem with pine is no coals and short burns so if you don't have some hardwood to mix in then its a pain to keep the fire going. Some pine would look pretty good right now compared to the scrounged garbage that I've pulled out of the woods over the past two weeks!

I live up the street from a campground and there must be at least 4-5 people who sell firewood at the end of their driveway. I thought about joining them but the market seemed saturated and since I like burning it for heat it didn't seem worth the trouble to me. But they must make some bucks doing it or they wouldn't bother.

If it's that easy for you to get to and process, season it two years and burn it. Mixed with oak or maple it will be great in October and November.

Status
Not open for further replies.