Cord wood $960 per cord? That's what many are paying? Add sales tax and its over $1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Local super market has bundles of firewood 2 for $10. Each bunble is about 3/4 cu ft

this equates to $960 per cord?

I could heat my house for only $6K a year?

Imagine the shopping list:

Milk
Orange juice
Eggs
Bread
2 cords of hardwood. Remember trailer.
Rice
Beans

Hey heating with pellets sounds pretty good now doesn't it? ;-P
Actually next to our distribution center there is a wood dealer who has a cord wood reasonably priced, but he also sells to the weekender types, wood at 50 cents a split...... how many splits in the average cord? :red:

And to think you must have LESS then 9 bundles to use the express check-out.

Just struck a deal with my new neighbour, who happens to be my best friend and who just finished installing a brand new Summit stove. In the spring he will be using one of his connections to arrange to have a double bunk trailer of birch dropped in his yard. In return for helping cut and split, I get half. Need to haul it literally across the street. A double bunk should give us each about 8 cords.

$960 a cord? I think I'd give up. "course, you have to realize that those supermarket bundles are meant for the casual fireplace burner that wants an annual Christmas fire.

With water sold at the local grocery for .72/ 12 oz. or more, that's $7.68/gal. A whole lot more than heating oil, gasoline, etc.

BeGreen said:
With water sold at the local grocery for .72/ 12 oz. or more, that's $7.68/gal. A whole lot more than heating oil, gasoline, etc.

As Robin Williams says: "When I want to blow a buck on a glass of water I drink Perrier.".

BeGreen said:

and lets not forget an approx 12 oz DD coffee
that costs about a buck sixty in my neck of
the woods.

Willhound said:
Just struck a deal with my new neighbour, who happens to be my best friend and who just finished installing a brand new Summit stove. In the spring he will be using one of his connections to arrange to have a double bunk trailer of birch dropped in his yard. In return for helping cut and split, I get half. Need to haul it literally across the street. A double bunk should give us each about 8 cords.

$960 a cord? I think I'd give up. "course, you have to realize that those supermarket bundles are meant for the casual fireplace burner that wants an annual Christmas fire.
Hey willhound from the looks of the splits you have in that wood rack i think you bought some of those
bundels. :question:

Hey jtcedinburg, I bet that's a good deal in Scotland ?

Willhound said:

What kind of birch is being delivered. I really enjoy burning yellow birch, of course watching the bark of white birch take off like gasoline is neat to watch. Sounds like you and your new neighbor will get along just fine. As a side note, has your winter weather been warm or about par for the cousre? It's been outright balmy here in northern NY, as I type there is a nice December breeze blowing across the room.

The local supermarket here sells a small bundle for 3.99 (on sale regular 5.99) . . using some quick guerilla math
that is about $500+ a cord, the supplier down the road tried to sell me three cords for $750 in '05 (would waiver the delivery charge, so nice of him) . . so if he is selling a cord wholesale, say for $200, the store is doing well. I'm in that place every week and I notice that people do buy it, what other quick and convenient option do they have . . actually the bundles at Lowes are more expensive, I think 4.99 here

Not prebundled, $750 for three cords dropped in my driveway. The bundling I speak of is nothing but shrink wrap.

Hmm...$11,000 worth of wood in the yard. Worth more than the vehicle that hauled it. I wonder how many BTU's are in one of those wax logs vs that $5.00 pack of wood. I'm betting on the Wax log being more, and for half the cost.

Of course the packs of logs are really only for people who also buy all their coffee, for 2 bucks a cup at Starbucks, Drive a vehicle 1/2 the size inside of my Honda Van, 2x the size outside, and choose to pay a lawn service 500 a month to mow their lawn. So, if you have the cash to live that way...well, good for you, I don't, nor do I want to live that way. (Oh I'd take the cash, but I'd still scrounge wood)

snowfreak said:
Willhound said:

What kind of birch is being delivered. I really enjoy burning yellow birch, of course watching the bark of white birch take off like gasoline is neat to watch. Sounds like you and your new neighbor will get along just fine. As a side note, has your winter weather been warm or about par for the cousre? It's been outright balmy here in northern NY, as I type there is a nice December breeze blowing across the room.

White birch. All we have here as far as any kind of hard wood. Weather has been unseasonabley warm here. Right around freezing during the day and into the mid twenties at night.

budman said:
Willhound said:

Hey willhound from the looks of the splits you have in that wood rack i think you bought some of those
bundels. :question:

If you mean the shot in my signature link, that pic was taken right after the insert was installed a year ago. The wood you see in the metal bucket is some fir that I split for kindling, and the stuff in the rack is birch, but it had been piled for about 3 years and all the bark had come off.

I bought a grocery store pack last year when I was trouble shooting my short burn times. I figured a nice pack of Oak would give me the best results. For $6, I got 5 pieces of green, hissing, popping, crap instead. I'm a scrounger now.

Status
Not open for further replies.